General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 camry stalls unless foot on gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Default 95 camry stalls unless foot on gas

I have a 95 camry 4 cyl, recently after a big rain/snow storm it stalls out when I take my foot off the gas pedal. There is a huge puddle right in front of my house that i had to drive through. Over the summer I had the same problem for about 2 months then everything seemed fine until now. In the summer the problem occured after not driving it for about 5 days and I am pretty sure that it rained a lot that week too. It drives good until I have to slow down or stop. The rpm's just drop down to 0 even if I am still going 35 mph. Does anyone know whats up with it. Thanks

Old 02-06-2009, 06:17 PM

If moisture related, when was the last time you put new wires/cap/rotor on?

Old 02-09-2009, 06:48 AM

I last replaced last spring, replies in other forum say possible IAC, dirty throttle body. What do you think?

Old 02-09-2009, 09:38 AM

Possible IAC. Easy DIY clean if you do search. Other possible is open/leaking/sticking EGR, but water related still leads me to ignition right now. I'd check the cap for crack. If it runs ok when dry conditions then I would put some water in a spray bottle and spray the ignition wires and cap/distributor to see if you get misfire/stall/low idle.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:25 PM

I agree with pedro. Since this problem happens when there is moisture involved, I would lean more towards the wires and/or distributor. If the EGR was partially clogged it would happen in any conditions, also the plentum/ intake manifold would be unusually hot do to the malfunctioning EGR Valve. If the IAC/throttle body is dirty, the problem would happen while coming down to a stop (stalling) or rough idle when cold. If you need to clean these make sure that your t-body does not have a factory coating on the inner bore. These t-bodies are not ment to be serviced. (the cleaner will strip the coating.) Also, if you remove the IAC motor do not move the plunger on the end because then you will have to goto a dealer to have the motor reset (using their computer) to the proper distance "steps" to idle properly ($$$). After all that, spray those wires and distributor down and I bet you find your problem. I hope this helps......