General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical System
Print Wikipost

2007 CAMRY V6 oxygen sensor

Old 06-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Default 2007 CAMRY V6 oxygen sensor

Just got back from autozone, seems my Camry, with only 27K miles on it has a very upset O2 sensor, BANK 2 SENSOR 2. I have just spent n hour trying to locate this online,, as I am not a mechanic but want to replace it myslef. This is a leased car, due back in one month (if it wasnt for baad luck...) so don't feel like getting abused by Toyota stealership.
Can anyone tell me exact location of Bank 2 Sensor 2? Also, I've read from several different sources this is one instance where you should really go OEM (BOSCH AND DENKO apparently aren't well received by TOyota ECM). Has anyone else heard the same? And lastly, going on the pretense I absolutely cannot get under the car, is this doable for an mechanically inclined, intelligent, patient guy with tools?
OBD CODES P0057 and P0161.
Sincerest thanks for ANY help
Adam

P.S. the CEL came on during nonstop driving in 100deg heat, 5hrs, full AC

Old 06-27-2010, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

This would be the 2nd sensor (Sensor 2) on the exhaust pipe coming from the cylinder head closest to the radiator (cylinder head Bank 2).

Typically these parts are warrantied for 36M/36K, and maybe longer in states such as California. If you have the owners manual read the emissions warranty portion.

The repair is doable but you will need to get under the engine to access the exhaust pipe.

If shopping for dealer Toyota parts try www.1sttoyotaparts.com for discount parts.

Bosch appears to have issues along with using universal sensors. Might ask at the Toyotanation website for sensor brand recommendations other then Toyota.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:55 AM

Joey, the sincerest thankk you possible. I am grateful. I am also ecstatic that there's a chance it is a warranty issue. I mean failure at 27K miles? that's more for a Pontiac, NOT a TOYOTA

I have one distinction to make. Yesterday, I pop the hood, look all over for O2 sensors (transverse engine has me flustered) and I am practically hit in the face with only one of them, standing straight up between the radiator fan and the engine block. Is this the one? Bank 2 Sensor 2? I'm asking because you said I would indeed have to get under the car, but I see no reason why if this is indeed the correct O2 sensor, or if it's a sensor at all.

I'll read the warranty, let you now what i see. This is due back from lease in exactly one month, I'll call lease mgr tomorrow to get her view.

Really, very very thankful for the help
Adam

P.S> seems to me if it is the O2 sensor in question, why the hell is the cord/circuit running so close to the right of the engine block? Several other cables in the vicinity have some type of heat shielding, not the one from my alleged O2 sensor though. That's why I'm suspicious it failed during a long trip in 100deg+ temps. Alas, what do i know?

Old 06-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

If you look at the exhaust system coming off this head, the first sensor is Bank 2, Sensor 1 (I think this is what you are looking at).

The second sensor is near the area were the front and rear cylinder head exhaust pipes connect together which is under the engine.

The engine block is not going to get hot enough to damage wiring, the exhaust pipe system would.

Perhaps you know someone that can get under the car for you and do the job.

When you find the right sensor look at the wiring for damage. The codes state both the sensor heater and sensor itself is bad. Although this might be typically on newer models, on the older ones this would be unusual. One or the other fails, typically not both.

Read up on changing the sensor, it may require a special socket that engages the flats on the sensor body (much like a hex head bolt) but allows the wires to clear the socket. Autoparts and tool stores should carry them, it is a common (and low cost) tool.

One other thing is to check for Toyota Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) that may cover this failure. Typically these sensors last at least 100K. Have not found any but this does not mean one doesn't exist.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:50 PM

Real sweet advice, thanks. My other car is a 2007 RAV4 LIMITED V6 (same engine as Camry?) with 62,000 miles and not ONE SINGLE MAINTENANCE issue besides changing brake pads, so yes I too am befuddled by this failure.

I promise to let you know the resolution, so that we may all learn from this.

thanks VERY much
Adam

Old 07-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Default 2002 2.4 camry with sensor issue

I in stalled an OBX Exhaust Manifold Headers 02-06 Toyota Camry 2.4L I4, as well as a K&N cold air induction system.
I now have no cat convertor and I am getting an error than something is wrong with cat convertor.
I was told the down stream sensor is getting and sending false errors.
Anything I can do short of replacing the old system?

Old 07-10-2010, 12:48 PM

Hey everybody,

As promised, I'm posting to let any one who's interested know the outcome of my CEL which turned out to be a failure of the Oxygen sensor, bank 2, sensor 2. After carefully reading the warranty information (my leased Camry had 27000 miles and was less than 3 yrs old) I surmised that the failed Oxygen sensor should indeed be covered by warranty (under 'Emissions Control') as the VERY helpful Toyomoho pointed out. I brought it to the stealership where I CLEARLY and FIRMLY stated I don't plan on paying a dime for this repair. The response (of course) was 'well our tech will have to take a look...blah blah blah'. I left a note on the speedometer of what OBD codes were read and what they meant. This was to let them know I was clearly aware of the issue, and not to bother making up some BS in order to empty my wallet.
I got a phone call the next day, it woud be a couple of days for the part, and it would indeed be covered by warranty. I told them to fix it and keep the car, the lease expires in 2 weeks. Stopped by to video the entire exterior of the car and take off the plates and sign odometer statement.
good luck to all
Adam

Last edited by adashjr; 07-10-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Adam, thanks for posting back with your experience. Glad things turned out OK.

Jimj3125, there is a low cost device that plugs into the O2 sensor plug to simulate the sensor. Do a Google search on O2 simulator.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Talking 02 sensor issue

First of all I'm new to the forums so hello everyone. Next. My wife's car has a bank 1 sensor 1 code that wont go away. Replaced the sensor with autozone brand and still got the code. Replaced the sensor again with Toyota brand costing me 200 bones and still get the same code. What am I doing wrong or is it the ECU acting up? Bank 1 sensor 1 is the very first one you see on a 1994 v6 engine correct? Any help with this issue will be greatly appreciated in advanced.

Another issue is carbon monoxide levels a little high which fails Virginia emmisions. Thanks in Advance.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Default bank 1 sensor 1

From what I hear, on a V6m O2 bank 1 sensor 1 is in the exhaust manifold in back of the engine near the firewall, coming off the cylinder 1 side. The one in front by the radiator is bank 2 sensor 1. maybe you're changing the wrong one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 CAMRY V6 oxygen sensor