General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:28 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

2007 Toyota Camry Dashboard is melting under Florida heat??

Old 09-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Default 2007 Toyota Camry Dashboard is melting under Florida heat??

Bizarre problem here, not sure if you guys have ever run into this.

I own a 2007 Toyota Camry, the interior of the vehicle has been kept in great condition, and my wife has been driving it for the past 18 months.

We recently noticed that the dash board on the vehicle has gouges in it (on the area that hangs over above the steering wheel) and we realized that merely accidentally touching the dash board with your fingernails (as one could do accidentally if you were driving and turning the wheel) is enough to cause the nails to "sink in" and cause a permanent scar in the dash board.

Here's where it gets weird, the entire dashboard, when you touch it, is "sticky", or "tacky", almost like drying paint or tar. It's so soft, that conceivably, you could take an ice cream scoop and scoop out entire chunks. I checked with my aunt who has a 2008 Toyota Camry, and she also has the same issue.

My first thought was that .. the dashboard is melting or suffering some kind of heat-related damage. I should note that my wife and I have never applied any cleaning chemicals or anything to the dash board, other than taking an ordinary dry rag and wiping down the dust.

Have you guys heard of this problem before?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:22 PM

Were both cars bought new or used?

If used, I can imagine that the prep guys at the dealership(s) used some oily product to make the dashboard look shiny and new.

But that could have damaged the rubber/plastic. The sun and heat are probably causing a reaction with the products they used.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:23 AM

Both cars were purchased new.

I just don't believe it's a coincidence that both cars have the same issue.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Florida Guy
Bizarre problem here

My first thought was that .. the dashboard is melting or suffering some kind of heat-related damage.
I'd like to hear the end of this since I'm considering a 2007...

but, if you don't use a garage, do you use a sun visor over the dash when the car is parked?
sun visor <$10 at auto parts store / walmart.
??

Old 09-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Default Melting Dashboard

I am the orginal owner of a 2007 Camry XLE and I have noticed the same problem in which I can easily gouge my dashboard with my finger nail and I don't have very long finger nails. I did this twice and was of course very surprised. I have owned two previous models of camrys and have never had this problem. I do park in the sun when at work (Mon-Fri) however, I did so with my other Camrys. In addition, I do not use any chemicals to clean the dashboard, in fact I rarely clean it other than wipe if off with a damp cloth.

I don't think it is bizarre, I believe there is something wrong with the dashboard and I believe if exposed for a long enough or equvilant period to heat or the sun, this will happen to all the dashboards that were made with the same material.

Perhaps this is only the beginning.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:10 PM

am no longer considering the '07 Camry from a friend, due to several generally bad reports.

who wants their dash to turn into ice cream?

Old 10-23-2011, 11:05 PM

Hmn Camry Owner, I couldn't have described it any better. I live in South Florida and my 2007 Camry dashboard is also turning into a soft gummy material. I am affraid to clean it for fear of doing damage. I called the Toyota national customer service line and they said it was not a warranty issue. They also suggested I contact the neighborhood dealer and see if he will give me a break in the repair cost. Over 40 years in S Florida and many cars during that time; none have ever had this problem. How sad!

Old 10-26-2011, 03:00 AM

Your issue intrigued me so I did a search of TN and didn't find any relevant threads, but FWIW I did find this thread on a Lexus forum where members describe the same issue you're describing.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Thumbs down Disintegrating CAMRY's dashboard

Here's a video I taped demonstrating my 2007 CAMRY's disintegrating dashboard: Toyota Camry sticky dashboard - YouTube

Old 12-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Default Mr

Camry Owner, having the same problem, live in South Florida and my 2007 Camry dashboard is also turning into a soft gummy material. I called the Toyota Dealer and they said it was not a Toyota issue. Over 30 years in S Florida and many Toyota's Camry during that time, none have ever had this problem.
I also noticed that the problem is not present during mornings or late at night, it is the material Toyota used in 2007 that melts with heat.

It is definitely a manufacturing issue.
Flavio Caldera

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Toyota Camry Dashboard is melting under Florida heat??