General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2010 Camry new 10k OC interval

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Default 2010 Camry new 10k OC interval

hello--I have a 2010 Camry XLE, bought new in Sept 09.
had first oil change at 5000 with the recommended syn toyo oil.
just got a letter saying, oil change intervals were upped to 10k.
took car to dealer, for next 5k oil change, and was told they do not agree with toyotas decision, and it was up to me, but it would void my warranty if I waited till 10k. What is up with this?
I live in New England, in Massachusetts.....I drive about 40 miles a day, all highway miles. The oil looked as good as new, at 5k.
Does anyone think the dealer is saying this, because they don't want to lose money if customers wait till 10K? I am using the Toyota syn oil as recommended--do you think I can wait till the next 10k before I change the oil again, without worry? thanks for any advice!

Old 03-04-2010, 10:57 PM

First it will not void your warranty. Your dealer just wants more $. Some even try to get you to do every 3K.

If you got the letter they sent a new service record manual with the new warranty provisions for the 10K change IF you use the 0-20 synthetic oil that they recommend.

Show it to the person that you talked to at the dealer. Ask him if he wants a copy to shove were the sun doesn't shine.

Last edited by lh4x4; 03-04-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

A lot of internet chatter about this change.

Seems to apply only if 0W-20 oil is used and car does not experience severe service.

Toyota is supposed to update the warranty to reflect the revised oil change period.

If all of the above is in effect for the car the warranty would not be voided.

This stated a Toyota dealer can pretty much do what they want, meaning if the engine experiences problems apparently related to the revised oil change interval the dealer can refuse to honor the warranty forcing you to press the case to the next highest level or find a dealer that will comply with the warranty.

Don't know enough about why Toyota made this change or what effect it will have on the engine.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:36 PM

The warranty is with the Manufacturer and not the dealer. The dealer is powerless on any warranty issue. A simple call to Toyota would resolve the matter fast. As a franchised dealer one of the requirement is that they process the warranty. They could risk their franchise over that issue.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Not always the case. Owners have at times needed to find another dealer to get them to warranty work.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:40 AM

Only if the owner is inexperienced and inept. I love to fight with dealers. I have had the good fortune to have had over 130 vehicles since 1962. I have never lost a challenge with a dealer.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:59 PM

I received the letter from toyota saying I should use 0W-20 synthetic in my 2010 Camry with the 2.5L engine, and the change intervel has gone from 5,000 miles or 6 months, to 10,000 miles or one year. It also states that if the car is used in severe service like short trips, or towing, it should be changed more often. This will work out good for me. Because I have two cars, I only put about 6,000 miles a year on each one.
I noticed Wal-Mart now carries Mobil 1 0W-20 synthetic for $6.27 per quart. The dealer wants $6.75 for their oil. It is not worth saving less than $3.00 to use my own oil.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:48 PM

My new 2010 2.5L Camry manual REQUIRES 0W-20 synthetic oil, and recommends Toyota Brand oil. If this weight oil is unavailable for the first change, the normal oil is allowed, but the next one is to be what they have recommended. My service department says that this is a blend made by Mobil especially for Toyota, but is NOT identical to Mobil 1 synthetic oil. The recommended change interval is 10K miles.

My problem is that the "maintenance required" light is still set for the older 5K interval. I had the tire rotation and other checks which are recommended for 5K done, but the light was not reset. I can reset it myself, but it seems that Toyota would want it to come on only at the proper interval, if they are going to recommend a change in it.

I have seen other forums, which suggest that the real reason for the oil weight change is the CAFE requirements, and that the synthetic oil boosts the fuel efficiency to allow their meeting those.

Last edited by Cam3; 05-17-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:42 AM

I don't know why the designers at Toyota chose that particular design, but they're including it in all of the latest models to create brand identity.

Look at the Yaris. It has the same design in the nose. All of the new Toyotas from 2006 on will have that design. (at least in the cars)

Old 05-19-2010, 08:58 AM

I spoke with the parts and service manager at my Toyota Dealer to ask if their "Synthetic" oil was a blend or full synthetic. I was told that their Toyota brand synthetic oil was a full synthetic, and not a blended oil. This seems to disagree with what a person posted earlier. I guess to be safe, I may just buy Mobil 1 0W-20 now that it is available at WalMart.

Quick Reply: 2010 Camry new 10k OC interval