General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 09-01-2015, 05:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics Guides
Print Wikipost

2011 New Camry Check Engine Light Frustration!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:05 AM
Default 2011 New Camry Check Engine Light Frustration!

Hello All. I'm new to this forum but wanted to post an issue I am having with my new Camry. It is a 2011 base model with a 6 speed manual tranmission. I have had the car since May. I drove it off the lot with less then 10 miles on it and now it has only 3400 miles on it. The day I purchased the car the check engine and VSC lights came on. I returned to the purchasing dealer and they reset the computer stating sometimes new cars do that as the computer learns. All was well until about a 1000 miles later when the same lights came on. Before I got back to the dealer they had gone off by themselves. The dealer turned me away stating that if the lights were not on, there was nothing to check. Come back if they come on again. At about another 1000 miles they came back on again. I took the car to another Toyota dealer whom ran the codes. P0335 (crank position sensor) They ordered and replaced the sensor. I was thinking all is well till about 500 miles later the lights came on again. I took it back to the second dealer. They scanned and found the same P0335 code. They kept the car for a week doing according to them all kinds of testing and opened a case with Toyota tech. support. Finally, Toyota tech support claims that I am causing the check engine light to come on most likely by lugging the engine by running in to high a gear or not fully depressing the clutch when coming to a stop. This upset me as I am 44 going on 45 years old and have driven stick shifts all my life. The mechanic at the dealer drove the car over 75 miles trying to recreate what Toyota tech was telling them and was not able to duplicate the problem. I asked the mechanic that if what Toyota tech said is true, shouldn't you be able to duplicate it? He reluctantly replied yes. They reset the computer again and sent me on my way. Now just a few days ago, at 3400 miles the lights are back on. The check engine light came on while sitting in a parking lot idling out of gear with the parking brake on while my wife was picking up a take out order. When I drove off the lot, the VSC light came on as well. I went back to the dealer whom told me that I have to contact Toyota and speak with a rep as they can find nothing wrong with the car. I asked them to at least check it and see if it is the same codes and they said they would have to charge me for it as there is nothing wrong with the car. They recomended I buy a code scanner and reset it myself. This is a joke. As I said, I have driven stick shift cars all my life and have never blown a clutch, tranmission nor have I ever tripped a check engine light by the way I drive. I have asked around, researched the web and can't find anything remotely close to what Toyota Tech claims is happening. I believe I have a faulty computer or an intermittent short in the wiring. I have brought this up and the mechanic said every checks out fine. Well, its not fine and I am fed up. I'm considering hiring a Lemon law attorney. I live in NC and here the car is inspected every year. They scan the computer during inspection and if the check engine light is on or any pending codes are found, I fail the inspection and can not renew my tag.This is sad to me as this is my 5th Toyota. The first 4 were great cars that never gave a moments trouble and 2 of the 4 were stick shifts. Has anyone on this forum heard of a problem like this? Any recomendation?

Last edited by geodesign1966; 08-17-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Might check posts at the Toyotanation website.

The VSC typically shuts off when the check light comes on to conserve engine power. There is most likely nothing wrong with the VSC.

As the sensor was replaced it may be something else such as a computer software issue, wiring or something in the starter circuit.

Typically the code is set if a signal is a not received by the computer from the sensor when the engine is being cranked over for starting or at RPM's above 600.

How they way ones drives can cause the above conditions and cause the code to set is unclear.

The dealer may not know what the problem is, perhaps a design defect. If too many people complain Toyota may (or may not) investigate and come up with a fix via a TSB.

Given the car is under warranty (your not paying the full shop rate) the dealer may have little incentive to investigate the problem as it may cost them money.

Whatever the reason it's easiest for them to reset the computer and send you on your way (and hope you will go away).

Winning a lemon law suit may not be easy and if you sue Toyota will cut off any support to you.

Might check if the state has some kind of warranty repair arbitration law.

If you have the time suggest you return to the dealer each time the light comes on and bug them. Don't get angry, dealers are very good at handling angry customers. Perhaps if you bug them enough they will do something.

Not all dealers are alike, next time the light comes on try another dealer.

As to the inspect issue, one place to start is the states inspection office. They must have encountered this problem before and can advise you. The problem is after all with Toyota, not you.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:18 PM

first welcome here!your problem seem to be so complicated on my part... I'll check on some community that can help you out.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:28 PM

I've had the VSC light come on few times on my 2011 Camry SE with manual transmission. I usually shut the engine off and after restarting the light is gone. Asked the dealer about it and they said if the light is not constantly on there"s nothing they can do. As to the statement that driving the manual transmission to higher RPM's would set off the check engine light - I hope that the person who made it is not engaged in any technical maintenance since he/she are obviously clueless.