General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Camry won't start - no crank, no noise.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Default 94 Camry won't start - no crank, no noise.

I have a 94 Camry 4cyl, which won't start. When I turn the key, there is no noise or grinding coming from the starter. I tried to jump it just in case something was up with the battery, but that did not work. The battery cable connects are fine. Not sure what to check next. This happened two times about 3-4 weeks ago, but then it started all of a sudden. And today the same thing is happened. Could this be the starter or the ignition?

Old 03-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Have you checked the battery cable terminals where they connect to the battery?

Battery cable ground points, the connection between the cable and end terminal?

Check the autozone website at www.autozone.com to learn about the starter system, how it operates and the layout of this car.

The problem could be a bad starter solenoid or the starter relay.

To check for a bad solenoid, use a jumper cable to apply power directly from the Pos battery terminal to the starter motor. If the motor works the issue is the solenoid or battery cable running to it.

If it does not work apply power to the small terminal (where a small wire connects) on the solenoid. This will bypass the starter relay. If the motor turns the issue is the starter relay circuits.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Have you checked the battery cable terminals where they connect to the battery?

Battery cable ground points, the connection between the cable and end terminal?

Check the autozone website at www.autozone.com to learn about the starter system, how it operates and the layout of this car.

The problem could be a bad starter solenoid or the starter relay.

To check for a bad solenoid, use a jumper cable to apply power directly from the Pos battery terminal to the starter motor. If the motor works the issue is the solenoid or battery cable running to it.

If it does not work apply power to the small terminal (where a small wire connects) on the solenoid. This will bypass the starter relay. If the motor turns the issue is the starter relay circuits.
Ok, I took some water mixed with baking soda, cleaned off the terminals, and it started up.

My question now is, how can I prevent this from happening again? Should I replace the terminals on the cables? Is this a sign that I need a new battery?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Use petroleum jelly to cover the terminals.

Auto parts stores would also sell something.