General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 Camry XLE - transponder key does not turn in ignition

Old 05-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Default 99 Camry XLE - transponder key does not turn in ignition

HELP!!!

i got a 99 Camry XLE - transponder key does not turn in ignition. yes i tried holding the steering wheel, etc - it won't turn anymore to start the car.

toyota dealer is telling me i need to replace the transponder key and ignition cylinder combo for around $600! is this true?

QUESTION: can i buy a non-transponder key & cylinder (for so much cheaper) to replace what i got, will this work?

thanks,
rob

Old 05-06-2010, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

The lock system is still a key and cylinder lock. The transponder portion interacts with a sensor near the key to allow the engine to start it does not prevent the lock from working.

Have you tried turning the key "upside down," spraying lock lube into the key slot (don't use WD-40) and onto the key, having a new transponder key made from the VIN number or lock number on the car.

If cut correctly a non-transponder key will work with the lock (assuming the key is the problem). It would not have the transponder feature, as such the engine would turn over but not start. Perhaps you may be able to hold the other key up to the lock when using the new key.

Again the transponder key has a device the interacts with the sensor in the ign key lock area. Just having a key that can turn the lock is not enough to start the engine.

Sometimes the key will wear out, if so making a new key just from coping the old key may not work. You need to make a new key from the VIN or key code number.

Try inserting the key, then gently tapping the end with someone like a plastic screw driver while attempting to turn the key. This may free up the lock "pins."

Suggest you start with lock lube, put some on the key, spray some into the lock and rattle the key.

If you have another key, try this. Turn over the key you are using and try this.

You may be able to get keys from other sources on the internet. However to program the transponder you will need a working Master key. Try in searching on Google.