General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 Camry floorboards flooded

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Default 95 Camry floorboards flooded

I've been having a flooding issue on the floorboards of my 95 camry. It started as a small wetness in the rear passenger floorboards, and over time has spread to the entire car's floorboards. There is absolutely no water damage on the seats or anything else, and there are no trails from the doors/windows trickling down into the floodboards.

I tried to research the issue and got lots of answers relating to my air conditioning, yet the AC seems to work fine and doesn't cause more leakage. The only time water starts building up is when it rains, and with the recent heavy rains on the east coast over the summer, my car's carpet is just about ruined and it smells like a forest inside. I'd appreciate any help you guys can give me, thanks.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:06 PM

Have a mechanic (Thoroughly) check all rear window seals, door seals, trunk seals you may need to remove some parts like the interior panels, rear floor carpet, backseat to further inspect.

Last edited by 94camryle; 10-07-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:36 PM

We don't get much rain in Southern California, but when we do, my trunk is transformed in an aquarium. It the thick rubber seal on the trunk lid. I'm having it replaced.

My car is a V-6, '94 2-door. I notice similar signs on other Camrys in town. You can tell when the large plastic lens containing the Logo and Tail Lights fogs or steams up.

I guess 17 years is hard on the rubber seal, though saga began when the car was 5 years-old.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:16 PM

but i said, there's no trails or marks trickling down from anywhere, it ONLY gets wet on the bottom. Also, my trunk doesn't get affected by this problem. Can it still come in through the rubber despite the fact i see no entryway for it to do so? Like i said, the only damage is on the floorboards, only rising about a centimeter up.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:07 PM

Yes in some cases it can.
Also,
If you live near the ocean or in an eastern state besides checking all of the rubber seals, also check for rust holes in the floorboard and surrounding areas.

With my 94 camry le coupe. when it rains water puddles up near the rear taillight assembly so when you open the trunk you get a shower too, just found that one out. : )

Originally Posted by gregulizzle
but i said, there's no trails or marks trickling down from anywhere, it ONLY gets wet on the bottom. Also, my trunk doesn't get affected by this problem. Can it still come in through the rubber despite the fact i see no entryway for it to do so? Like i said, the only damage is on the floorboards, only rising about a centimeter up.

Last edited by 94camryle; 10-08-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:22 PM

The wheel wells inside the trunk have a rubber nipple on the bottom. Supposedly to allow water trapped to drain away from a low point in the chassis. Mine are clogged up with debris from the trunk and so when the trunk fills, the water sloshes around.

If you get water entering through the trunk (mine definitely), every time you break, that water will slosh forward. And the trunk cavity is definitely higher than the floorboards.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Does the car have a sun roof?

Old 10-11-2011, 05:47 PM

no there is no sunroof. also, i never hear any sloshing or moving of water while driving the car (besides what is already on the floor).

Old 10-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

As leaks go water in the rear seat floor pan is not common for cars with not sunroof.

Check for water in the trunk spare tire well and wells on each side of it? There is a plastic tub on each side of the tire well that comes out. The drivers side wells has a vent to the outside which often leaks filling the well with water.

Pull up the rear the seat and check for signs of water. The seat pulls up from the front, one, pull up on the outboard sides of the seat. When the seat is out check for signs of water at the rear wheel wells.

As others have posted, there may be rubber plugs in the floor pan that if removed would access the ground. Check these.