General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 Camry- won't start, fuel is cut off...?

Old 05-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Default 96 Camry- won't start, fuel is cut off...?

my 96 Camry is not starting. when I shoot gas into the vacuum tube, it runs for a few seconds
and will even accelerate for a brief moment. changed out the fuel filter & fuel pump and its still the same. I know it has spark since it will run for a few seconds. can someone tell me which part can fail and shut down the injectors from one day to the next. also, I've read somewhere on how to get codes but I'm not sure how to do that. please explain how I can get codes without a scanner. Thanks guys!

Old 05-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 96 Camry- won't start, fuel is cut off...?

1996 has ODBII, needs a scanner. There may not be any codes stored.

Check all the case fuses such as EFI, AM2, IGN.

Look around the engine compartment, passenger or drivers strut tower area for a very small plastic box labeled something like Diagnostic. Open the lid and look under for the key to the terminals in the box. Using a piece of wire jump the FP and B+ terminals to jump start the fuel pump (ign on).

Try disconnecting the electrical plug to the MAP/MAF sensor and cranking the engine.

Might check the IAC valve.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:14 PM

Toyomoho, thanks for the suggestions. this is driving me nuts!! I went to jump the fp to b+ but the
terminal for fp was empty, no metal terminal. disconnected the MAP and no luck. checked all the fuses and relays, all were good. it feels as if the fuel supply is cutting off immediately after the
engines fires up or when I stop cranking. definitely something not sending power either to pump or
injectors... is there another way to jump the fuel pump? I'm very curious to see if the engine would
stay running if the pump was jumped. any info whatsoever would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-28-2008, 02:28 PM

Do you know for sure the fuel pump relay is working? I would access the fuel pump and it's wiring, use a test light and have someone crank the engine over, see if the test light confirms power to the pump. You'll also probably be able to hear the pump. Is there a separate fuel pressure regulator on this or is it in the fuel pump?

Old 05-28-2008, 03:47 PM

Pedro, I actually did that yesterday. I put my ear right near the pump access plate and I could hear
the pump turning on. The engine actually starts every time for 1-2 seconds. I don't know if there is a relay or regulator but I would like to jump the pump and then
crank the engine. Do you know if this would be safe? I just want to run the engine for like 10-15 seconds so I can narrow it down to the pump being shut down by something. Also, can the lack of a required spark, (bad coil), cause an interuption in the operation of the fuel pump? Thanks.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Data incomplete as do not have this years service info, data for later year. Looks like you need the Toyota diagnostic tool to turn on pump, or apply +12V power to positive pump wire.

+12V power to pump appears to be Blue/Black wire, ground wire to pump White/Black. Use caution as the tank also has the gas level sender wires which may be Yellow/Red and Green/White.

Pump +DC power runs through the Circuit Opening Relay, then EFI relay to EFI fuse (15A), then to 100A alt fusible link.

ECU controls Circuit Opening Relay, check 5A Ign fuse. This relay is controlled by the ECU. If ECU does not receive a signal from ? There may be an air flow sensor on/off switch in the air intake or a circuit connected to the NE wire (crankshaft sensor). The setup depends on fuel system design.

As such FP will turn off if crank ign signals stop or air flow sensor switch indicate the engine is not running but the ign switch is on as in an accident.

Fuel system will be OK if pump is on and engine off. Don't leave ign switch on for more then 10 seconds or may damage electronics. Fuel pressure regulator is in the tank.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:36 AM

Where can I purchase a Toyota diagnostic tool?
How much should I expect to pay?
Is there a handheld or consumer grade I could use for this or is a professional-grade tool?
I own 3 different Camrys so its probably a good investment for me. However, these cars have been extremely reliable over the years. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure if you can buy the Toyota scan tool if not a dealer? Have seen the more advanced unit with laptop for $8K at Toyota site. The unit uses Toyota software.

A basic scanner can monitor the cars functions in almost real time via the ODBII port. The issue is finding on that can manipulate the valves, pump, etc, this may require specific Toyota software.

Around 1995 there was a switch in systems from a ODBI(ish) to the standardized OBBII. If you have cars this year or older the tool would need to adapt to the earlier system.

In addition to the circuit opening relay causing this problem (check the relay or jump fuel pump), a bad MAP/MAF sensor and IAC valve can cause this.

Is this car V6 or 4 cylinder?

Old 05-29-2008, 01:39 PM

this car has a 2.2/ 4-cyl. I do have a second camry that would allow me the luxury of switching parts. if this was your situation, which parts would you guess where the cause of this fuel problem? should I change the MAP/MAF sensor or the IAC first?
I'm somewhat hesitant to hotwire the pump for fear of shorting something out and creating a bigger mess. unless you can suggest a safe method to do this. Thanks so much for all the tips!

Old 05-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

If you don't want to jump the pump but have parts:

Try switching the EFI and Circuit Opening Relays.

If the engine has a MAP sensor the change out time would be minutes, if MAF longer.

The IAC valve takes even longer as it bolted to the throttle body.

As such would do the easiest first.

Send a private message with email address, will send some info on the EFI system. Athough this is later year info it may still help you in testing these items.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 Camry- won't start, fuel is cut off...?