General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-28-2015, 11:11 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Intake and Exhaust System
Print Wikipost

96 Rear Sway Bar Bushings - Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Default 96 Rear Sway Bar Bushings - Advice Please

The guy at the tire store told my daughter that the clunking noise she is hearing is coming from the rear sway bar bushings. I'd appreciate any tips or advice on how to install the new bushings. I've always done most of my own repairs, but haven't even looked at this yet since she is out of state attending school. She is coming home this weekend, so I will only have a day or so to fix it. I'm picking up the new bushings this afternoon. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 96 Rear Sway Bar Bushings - Advice Please

First obtain the bushings, you will need two.

Remove the tire. The bushing retainer is held on by two bolts. The retainer also has a clip at on eend. Thus with the two bolts out you may need to push the end of the retainer that is still holding on back to unhook it from the frame.

Once off, pry off and replace the bushing. If you have some teflon thread tape, wrap this around the bar a few sway bar a few times before installing the new bushing. This will help reduce friction and noise.

Install the retainer and move the sway bar into position. You may only be able to get one bolt in place at first as the bar wants to drop down. Take up most of the slack on this bolt then install the second. Once both are in, torque them down.

Once you get the hand of it, the job should take less then 1/2 per side.

The only issue for some is rusted bolts that are difficult to remove. In this case use some kind of penetrating fluid or heat.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:47 PM

Thanks for the reply. I asked the guy at the tire store to squirt the bolts when he looked at it a week or so ago, so hopefully the bolts won't be a problem. Do the tires need to come off, or do I just need to get it in the air so I can get underneath it? Also, good idea about the tape.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

A lift system should work. I suggest you remove the tires. In this way you can work through the wheel well from the outside of the car. Look under the car, you should be able to see where the bushing retainers attach to the cars frame.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:53 PM

Pretty easy repair. Remove the two bolts holding the bracket in place. Remove bracket. Remove old bushing. Install new bushing.

However, it's just as likely that the noise is coming from worn end links. But since bushings are cheaper, you may as well start there.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:22 PM

Im confused. Do you want the sway bar to be gripped firmly by the bushing, or do you want it to slip? When the bushing wears out, it can slip more. If you put teflon tape or lube, that could run out, and then what happens?

www.acuravigorclub.com/Timely-Topics/TTGraphics/0707/Bushing%20Basics.pdf

Old 07-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

The issue is squeaking noises, a new bushing can squeak after a short time.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:20 AM

I have a 1994 Toyota Camry DX 2.2 with about 179,000 miles on it. I need to replace the rear sway bars and bushings. I have bought the bushings and the shop told me that they are the wrong ones. Are there 2 different types? The parts store I bought them from told me they are a exact fit. Any help will be appreciated. I am getting very frustrated.