General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Camry headlights come on when it rains?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:51 AM
Default 97 Camry headlights come on when it rains?

I'm having a really weird issue with my 97 Camry and was hoping you can point me in the right direction. I rear ended someone and smashed the front grill and passenger side headlight assembly so I replaced it and all seemed well. But now when it rains really hard or snows both headlights mysteriously come on by themselves when the car is not running. I don't have automated headlights and when I start the car the lights turn off because the switch is in the 'off' position. Any ideas? Headlights relay gone bad? I suspect something got bent in the accident which is allowing water in which is tripping the electrical circuit. Thanks

Old 03-01-2011, 08:00 AM

i would check your wiring harness because sometime it would trip them but that's just me, if not then check with one of your buddy that you trust with electrical work and have them check it out also

Old 03-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Does the car have daytime running lights?

What lights come on, high beams, low beams, both?

You state the car does not have auto headlights, what about auto off?

The headlight relay is in a plastic box, engine compartment. If the car does not have auto headlights or auto off, the relay should only be powered when the light control switch inside the car turned them on.

When the lights come on, remove the relay and determine if they go off. It's in a plastic box, left side engine compartment marked HEAD.

Keep in mind the system works by grounding wires from the relay and light bulbs.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:10 AM

The low beams come on. No daytime running lights and no auto off. The lights stay on when you turn the car off if the switch is in the 'on' position.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

It is normal for the lights to work with ign switch on or off.

Might be a sticking headlight relay.

Make sure water is not getting into the relay box or wiring. Might also be a temperature related problem, to cold.

Try changing the relay.

If the problem happens before this tap the relay with something in an attempt to break the electrical contact. If you are concerned about the lights coming on and running the battery down, remove the relay when not driving the car.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:03 PM

99 Camry
, how do i turn off the sentential day head lights