General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 camry O/D OFF alarm

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Default 98 camry O/D OFF alarm

Hi guys,

am new to this forum, based in Sydney, australia
have a 98 camry V6 - 1MZ-FE engine, with Auto transmission
Often, just as I start moving, the "Take vehicle to Toyota dealer" alarm lights up in the dashboard and then the "O/D Off" alarm begins flashing. At this point I switch off the O/D button.
This may go on for say 4-6 km, and then the first alrm goes off, and I am then able to push the O/D switch back ON.
Any suggestions where the problem maybe, is it likely electrical or in the transmission.
I have changed the transmission fluid on my own, but did not open up / clean the filter, this was almost 2 years back.
Is it anything to do with the transmission fluid level. What is the correct time to check the fluid level, while the engine is OFF are while its idling?
thanks for any inputs
Cheers
Tony

Old 02-27-2008, 06:52 PM
Default RE: 98 camry O/D OFF alarm

Why are you shouting, we can hear you just fine - even from Oz.

The O/D light is probably flashing a transmission trouble code. See if you can count the flashes and look for pauses between flashes. 4 flashes, pause, 2 flashes mean trouble code 42. You can then look that up and see what it means. I'm not sure on a 98 but you may have to jump a couple of connectors on the diagnostic connector to get the actual code. Toyo may be your only choice here. If you are not getting any drivability problems it does not sound urgent but should be looked at. A couple of Toyo techs are on this forum and may comment.

Don't worry about the "filter". It's actually a screen and may never have to be cleaned. How many miles? Check fluid level when hot and at idle. Did you flush the entire trans fluid or just drain and replace the fluid in the pan? If only the pan then you didn't accomplish much as that is a small % of the total amount.

I also noticed that Sydney was capitalized but australia was not. Are you prouder to be from Sydney than AU?

Old 02-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

If the O/D light is blinking a trouble code(s) may have been stored.

To access any codes have the engine off and ignition switch and O/D switch on. Find the diagnostic box located in the engine compartment passengers side near the shock tower. Using a section of wire short the Tt and E1 connectors together, the terminal labels are under the cover.

If a code(s) is stored the O/D light will blink out the two numeral code, one numeral at a time. The numerals have 1.5 seconds between then and 4.5 seconds between codes. If no codes are stored the light will blink once ever 0.25 seconds.

The codes can be cleared by removing the Dome or EFI fuse (depending on trans model).

Old 02-27-2008, 10:07 PM

thanks guys.
the alarm is erratic, as in comes sometimes and then may not come for long. I'm not very confident about going into the diagnostic box etx, so if one needs to go to that level, then guess i will have to take it to a toyo service station

Pedro, yes, i did just drain the pan, how is one supposed to do a full drain?
There are no real driving issues, the problem first occured I guess more than a year back, and has since come and gone, this may just be my hunch, but it seems the alarm comes more in wet weather, wonder what could be the connection, if any.
When I first had this problem, it would usually occur if I had stopped for a short while and then restarted?

Thanks
Tony

Old 02-28-2008, 07:35 AM

ORIGINAL: tony61
i did just drain the pan, how is one supposed to do a full drain?
You can do a full drain yourself but it sounds like you don't have much mechanical ability. Best left to a dealer or Quick Lube center. Cost here about $75. If you DIY then cost is just the price of trans fluid. You'd need to look up how many quarts your trans takes and add a couple for complete flush. Do a Goggle search on transmission flush and you will see the procedure and if you want to tackle it.

but it seems the alarm comes more in wet weather, wonder what could be the connection, if any.
It may only be a wire connection problem to a solenoid that wet weather causes due to moisture shorting out the electrical signal. Get the trans code first which will narrow the search.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:20 PM

So doing just a transmission fluid change won't help much? Are you recommending I do a full flush? I had never changed the ATF in my car until a few weeks ago (about 121k miles). And I also took my exhaust pipe out (for a little better air flow and the mean sound) but when my gears switch the car gives just a minor tug. It's gear shifting is not as smooth as a Camry is supposed to be.