General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'99 CAMRY 2.2 L4 with AUTO TRANNY - OBD CODE P0740

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Default '99 CAMRY 2.2 L4 with AUTO TRANNY - OBD CODE P0740

I have a '99 Camry with 2.2L engine and Auto tranny. Car runs good, tranny shifts good at all gears, including O/D, no slipping, no O/D light, however the Check Engine light came on, stayed on for about 2 hours, and then went off.

Today it came on again, and this time I checked it and the OBD computer says code P0740.

I know its a tranny problem, I really hope its something simple, as I have the car for only a year now, and I bought it to keep it forever, or at least until it turns 300K ... now it has only 150K, which should be nothing for a Camry ...

Anybody had similar problem?

Is it something cheap to fix, or needs the tranny replaced?

Is is a common problem for this car?

Thanks for all the help!

Old 06-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Default RE: '99 CAMRY 2.2 L4 with AUTO TRANNY - OBD CODE P0740 PROBLEM?

Welcome to the site...I just joined yesterday as well. I've done some searching on the site and have seen some threads about transmission codes so hopefully you'll be able to determine what the code is.

BTW...where did you get your diagnostic code reader and how much do they typically run? I just purchased a '96 Camry and would like to have one for future reference. Thanks.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:19 PM

I know what the code translates to, it is "Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction".
I hope it is something electrical and not mechanical.

I purchased my code reader from eBay for $20. It is a must have.

ORIGINAL: JGRYoda

Welcome to the site...I just joined yesterday as well. I've done some searching on the site and have seen some threads about transmission codes so hopefully you'll be able to determine what the code is.

BTW...where did you get your diagnostic code reader and how much do they typically run? I just purchased a '96 Camry and would like to have one for future reference. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Cannot find a link for this code and this year/model car/trans. The scan tool may have thrown a generic code (other car manufacturers use the same code).

This issue may be the Shift Solenoid Valve SL (also called Shift Solenoid E) and . This controls lockup of the torque converter. Or the valve body it attaches could be blocked, bad torque converter clutch, low trans line pressure.

The solenoid and valve can be accessed without removing the trans pan, converter access is by removing the trans.

A better code may be P0770, a Google search will turn up lots of hits.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:36 PM

The weird thing is that the code came when I started up the car and it came with the "burnt brake light" light.
I see a lot of people are asking if the brake lights are fine when somebody mentions the P770 code.

What do the brake lamps have to do with the tranny?

Old 06-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

You sure this is the brake indicator light and not the TRAC OFF light?

Old 06-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Default RE: &\\;rsquo\\;99 CAMRY 2.2 L4 with AUTO TRANNY - OBD CODE P0740 PROBLEM?

My car has no traction control.&lt\\;br&gt\\;&lt\\;br&gt\\;When I started the car 2 lights came on immediately, the check engine light, together with the &quot\\;burnt brake light&quot\\; light (the one with a car shown in it). The &quot\\;burnt brake light&quot\\; light went off in few seconds and after about 20 minutes of driving the check engine light went off too. I now know that the transmission is somehow hooked to the brake switch and sometimes faulty brake switch can activate the check engine light with transmission codes?

Old 06-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: &\\\\\\;rsquo\\\\\\;99 CAMRY 2.2 L4 with AUTO TRANNY - OBD CODE P0740 PROBLEM?

The brake switch is connected directly to the computer, in addition to the brake lights.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Default RE: &\\\\\\;rsquo\\\\\\;99 CAMRY 2.2 L4 with AUTO TRANNY - OBD CODE P0740 PROBLEM?

Lets hope this was a one time brake switch malfunction which caused the code to come up.
I just did extensive repairs on the car to prepare it for another 100,000 miles a week before that happened, that why I was so dissapointed to possibly have a bad tranny.

I purchased the car last year with 128K and I really love it. I needed something bigger, and since I am huge fan on the Geo Prizms with 1.6 engines, I decided on a Camry, as I saw that car as the Prizm's big brother.

I've had tremendous luck with '93-'97 Prizms (Corollas) and I had put tons of miles on few of them with almost no maintanance done. These are still the best cars ever made in my book.

ORIGINAL: toyomoho

The brake switch is connected directly to the computer, in addition to the brake lights.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

If you want the trans (and rest of car) to last make sure the trans fluid stays is in good shape. Should be red or reddish, if black change it. Worn out trans fluid will kill a trans. Might also change the power steering fluid if original, differential fluid, brake fluid if dark.

Quick Reply: '99 CAMRY 2.2 L4 with AUTO TRANNY - OBD CODE P0740