General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

'99 Camry idle vibration and engine making me worried

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Default '99 Camry idle vibration and engine making me worried

Hi All,

I hope someone can help me with this before I take it to a mechanic or something.

I have a 1999 Camry LE with 2.2L I4, 76k miles on it. The Check Engine light has been on recently, and my father changed the Oxygen sensor on it, as he thought that was the problem. The check engine light didn't go away, and I noticed right away that during idle (at a red light, or just parked), the cabin now vibrates noticeably! I can feel the shaking through my seat and the steering wheel vibrates noticeably. I know this isn't normal as it's never happened before (except at high speeds on highway). My dad thinks it is, but hes getting senile so...

The oil gets changed every 15k miles (or less). I started reading into TSBs and this also sounds like a possible rough idle/cylinder misfire issue..

Otherwise the car drives, though it could be my imagination that the fuel economy has gone down and throttle response is now weaker and I need to hit the gas harder now...

Anyway, I checked some reliability issues for the 1999 Camry. It looks like it could be an engine problem itself, or maybe something to do with the EGR system (valve? clogged?).

Does anyone have any ideas? Big problem here?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: '99 Camry idle vibration and engine making me worried

Have the trouble codes read otherwise you are guessing.

AutoZone will do this for free and perhaps other autoparts outlets. The Toyota dealer will charge. Or buy a low cost ODBII scanner.

One you have the code(s) post back.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Default RE: ’99 Camry idle vibration and engine making me worried

I got 2 error codes back from AutoZone:

P1130 - Air fuel sensor circuit range/performance bank 1 sensor 1
P0171 - Fuel system for bank 1 was too lean

These don’t really explain the shaking of the engine (not apparently to me though).

Anybody have thoughts? I’m going to take it to a dealer in few as was suggested by the guy at Autozone.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: &\\;rsquo\\;99 Camry idle vibration and engine making me worried

The P0171 code can be linked to the P1130 code, a defective A/F sensor.

This is first sensor down on exhaust system, a pretty straight forward DIY job to change.

If you purchase the sensor, suggest Denso brand as Toyota owners have much less trouble with these (Toyota also fine except $$$).&nbsp\\; Make sure you get the sensor designed for a car meeting California emissions standards. There is also a Federal emissions sensor.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:02 PM

idle air control !!!!!

Old 04-15-2015, 10:09 AM

I have same issue with my 94 Camry - 4 cylinder - changed motor mounts, fuel filter, coolant temp sensor, timing belt, full tune up, pcv valve, cleaned out throttle body and IAC....performed EGR valve test and it appears to be ok....i am at a loss - my friend is going to try and help me find if there is a vacuum leak, check timing and perform compression test - is there an Air/Fuel sensor on a 94 camry?

Old 06-14-2017, 11:46 PM

2016 ruff idles in drive 600 rpm with foot on brake ...does not in neutral at 750 rpm..and does not when in drive with emergency brake depressed with foot off of the main brake also idle rises to 750rpm..one of the horns had to be replaced because of electrical short...did not notice idle until after horn was replaced and 10000 mile synthetic oil change can anyone advise

Old 06-15-2017, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Was the battery disconnected for this repair? If so, the engine computer needs time to relearn idle RPM.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:30 PM

Toyomoho

my neighbor backed up into the car.....the fender and bumper where replaced...a few weeks later the horn shorted out in a rain storm.....a Toyota dealer misdiagnosed the horn short as an electrical problem....the dealer replaced a fuse ......and the horn fuse went dead a few days later again.....i took her back to the autobody guy and he said ...the dealer is wrong...there is no electrical problem....he said the horn has shorted out..the Toyota dealer was charging expensive diagnostic fees just to be nasty and could not find the problem... I called insurance and they made the Autobody guy replace it.....please what is the next step to take? Also there was no engine compartment damage nothing had to be replaced...

Last edited by Deeboy; 06-15-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Please answer the following questions:

The car is a 2016? Is the car still under Toyota factory warranty?

Exactly where was the car hit?

Exactly what work did the auto body shop do on the first repair?

Was the only problem with the horn the blown fuse? Was the horn fuse actually replaced?

Why do you think the horn problem is related to the rain storm?

Does the horn work now? If not have you checked the horn fuse? The location is in a fuse box in the engine room.

Whose insurance did you call to then have the auto body do more work? Yours or the person who ran into you.

Exactly what additional work, if any, was then done.

Do you have auto insurance that covers collision on the car?

Quick Reply: '99 Camry idle vibration and engine making me worried