General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Am I going to have to sue?

Old 03-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Default Am I going to have to sue?

So I bought a 07 Camry at the end of December. When I bought the car the door locks were not working. The sales person said they will fix the locks for me and I signed a "We owe" contact saying that they owe me new door locks. After waiting a month for the part to come in and another month for them to actually attempt to fix the locks, I get a call saying that they have already put to much money into used parts in order to try to fix the locks. They said they are going to have to buy new parts from Toyota and they said they will split the cost with me which is going to cost me around $350. What do you guys recommend I do?

The original problem with the locks is that the front driver side door worked but all other doors would not work except by unlocking each door individually by hand from the inside. After replacing whatever they replaced twice now, all the doors work except the back drivers side door. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Old 03-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Turning the lock on the drivers door did not unlock the other doors? The switch by the drivers door also does not unlock the doors?

Unfortunately the lock system is no longer simple and now includes its own computer.

It is possible the computer is bad which can be expensive.

You might ask what parts need replacing, then call Toyota and check prices. Then discount the prices as Toyota may give discount to other car dealers.

Of course your only concern is the door locks work. How the seller makes the locks work is their problem not yours. They may have underestimated the repair or tried to go cheap with used parts.

Check your states consumer protection laws for possible recourse. An attorney will most likely charge you more then the cost the dealer is asking. These leaves small claims court.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:56 AM

The back driver side door does not respond to any means of unlocking it except manually unlocking in by hand. The remote doesn't work, the drivers door panel doesn't work and turning the key in the driver door does not work. This is only for the back drivers side door. All other doors are now working fine.

The sales person said they only use used part in order to fix cars. He said it is going to require a new part in order to fix the door and they will split the cost with me but they will not pay the full price themselves.

I think I am going to take the car to a Toyota dealership and get an estimate wrote up on what it takes in order to fix the problem and present it to the dealership I bought the car from. If the dealership refuse to fix what the Toyota dealership says needs to be done with no cost to me then I think I am going to take it to small claims court. The "We Owe" contract that I signed says "Lock sensors on door repair" and at this point they are not repaired so I am hoping this is a fight I can easily win. One problem is that the contract says it is only valid for 30 days from the date of issuance. But did my part and got the car to them with in the 30 days. They have not been able to fix it within the 30 day time period.

Anyway, that is where I am sitting right now.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

It is typical for dealers to split the cost of repairs however in these cases the car is typically out of warranty (a goodwill repair).

Not sure the 30 days is valid if the dealer is unable to fix the car. This may be in the contract to encourage the buyer to return the car for repairs within 30 days.