General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another vibration problem advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:52 PM
Default Another vibration problem advice needed

First off I'm new to the forum and there is tons of good info and lots of knowledge, hopefully I can put that to use.
I have a 96 camry, 4cyl, auto, w/160,000 miles on her. When sitting at idle, in gear, with the brakes on I can feel a hard vibe throughout the whole car especially at the steering wheel but when I put her in N or P or just let off of the brakes she's just as smooth as silk.When I'm accelerating and cruising there is no vibe to be felt.The magnets inside of the transmission pan disentigrated around 80,000 and turned my fluid from red to black as the paint on my car (transmission promptly reverse flushed by dealer) but this problem started at 140,000 miles. I'm pretty religous about my maintenance schedule and do all of the work by myself unless tooling becomes an issue, because I don't trust anyone to work on my car but myself. (been burned by others work habits in the past).
Also where can I find new magnets to put back in the pan,I went to the dealer to order them and the parts guy looked at me as though I were stupid. He said they never change them and if they are bad they don't replace them. I've tried all the auto part stores locally with not luck. My thought is they have to be made of some special material to withstand the heat and deteriorating capacities this fluid hasplus the engineers put them in there for a reason.
Any help would be appreciated