General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

the Battery is draining while engine idling

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Question the Battery is draining while engine idling

Hello,
My 'new' 93 camry is a really nice car but i have a strange problem with the electric.

When i'm stuck in traffic (engine idling between 700-900rpm), the battery slowy drain... the dash lights dies slowly... and the battery light comes in.

After that.. if i can eventually drive.. the power will come back. So I think I can say that the alternator works.

• The alternator seem to have been change.. the battery look old...
  • I used the wipers & the radio when I was in traffic
So my question is:
Is it normal that a alternator is not sufficient in electricity and needs the battery when the engine is idling?

If so..i change the battery and she will help the alternator better ?

Thank you

Old 10-02-2010, 09:38 AM

There is something called a rectifier in the alternator and what that does is convert the power fro AC to DC. This function is carried out by to diodes that allow the flow of current in on one side and out the other. I believe that probably one of these diodes is fried and the car will only charge when it is at a higher RMP. Basically, I think you need a new alternator. Take it to an Autozone or someplace like that and they will diagnose your system for free even if you don't buy anything there. I doubt it is the battery.