General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-28-2015, 10:22 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine
Print Wikipost

BLOWN HEAD GASKET

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 03:08 AM

Man its tough not having a computer. It took me 30 minutes to type the above on a Samsung cellphone.

I FORGOT to say, "Thanks guys!"

Old 12-24-2012, 08:38 AM

Guys I am doing the repair and it is alot of freegin work. I cannot get the motor to lift up high enough to remove the timing cover bolt that is located directly behind power steering pump pulley. Im trying to avoid removing ps pump to save time and this guy on YouTube did it this way.

I feel like when I jack up the motor it get to a point where something is gonna break.

Is it possible or advisable to remove all motor mounts to allow for more freedom or is this gonna break something?. I removed he entire pass motor mount but cannot jack motor high enouh to slip bolt out. Need just an inch more. I also removed front mount and it did offer more movement. Would it be safe to loosen the driver side mount as well? Ahhhhhhhhgh

Old 12-24-2012, 06:59 PM
rbc

I am new to this forum. I also had stripped head bolts in my2003 camry 3 years ago. The car had 89000 mile and Toyota told us the engine needed to be replaced. We had the engine replaced with a used one with only 35000 miles. Now this engine is also leaking coolant at less than 70000 mile. Toyota will repair it for $5000. My question, is it worth having it fixed again or are these engine all junk.

Last edited by rbc; 12-24-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

If the engine is supported you can remove the engine mounts. If possible use a chain host.

Toyota is now repairing the threads in the block instead of replacing it. Read the posts in this tread about Time-Serts. If interested get a quote from an independent shop for installing them.

Not all engines have problems but as you find it is not uncommon.

FYI, Toyota eventually replaced this model engine with another in Camry.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:46 PM

Guess what guys I was making it harder than it really is. To remove the power steering pump simply slip in a tool and loosen the two mounting bolts, hold on let me double check for you guys.... okay that's correct loosen the two mounting bolts until they are out of their threads and simply push the power steering pump off of the head, towards the passenger seat. There are slots machined for your convenience and you do not even have to remove the bolts completely! Ptl so that means you don't even have to lower or raise the motor like I was trying to do.

I learned the above only after doing it the hard way. After trying desperately to remove the top mounting bolt I made a decision to disconnect the rear motor mount and this allowed the motor to go high enough to slide the top bolt out. This vehicle needs to be ready in 12 days!!!!

For those who are attempting to do this repair please read the directions instructions thoroughly in your repair manual and pay very close attention at all times at all the procedures involved or you might end up stressing about nothing like how I did! I lost a lot of time removing this part.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:07 PM

you do not have to disconnect anything on the pump you just want to remove it and hang it somewhere out of your way.

QUICK QUESTION ABOUT THE CYLINDER HEAD BOLTS!!!!! I've been reading on the internet that some people have been stripping out their head bolts because they were using a tool that SEEMED to be the correct one but wasnt. The correct socket tool will fit snugly in and tightly in the head bolt correct? I am asking this because the the socket tool that I have its it's got a little bit of play in it. Let me post the link.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:13 PM

Check this out. the tool I have was purchased at NAPA Auto Parts for like 7 dollars. it looks just like the snap on 1 but there's a little play. maybe the snap on 1 will fit better since those are the best tools.

http://image.snapon.com/international/pdf/sadm10e.pdf

Old 01-21-2013, 09:40 AM

sounds like you have the same problem as this guy..
he fixed his for under 500 bucks!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_RQ0NIif4g

Old 01-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Old 05-21-2013, 06:41 PM

My mechanic who is not with the dealership has indicated the Camrys are known for blown head gaskets. Evidently it is a common problem and probably relates back to the a bad design. To my knowledge, Toyota has not done anything about this issue which appears to be very common.

Quick Reply: BLOWN HEAD GASKET