General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Blown Head Gasket??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Default Blown Head Gasket??

Hi, I am new to this Forum and I need some advice on my 93 Camry, 4 cyl. I fear I have a head gasket in the advanced stages of becoming totally blown! The temp gauge fluctuates between the middle and all the way up to the red line. This is my daughter's car and she lives 500 miles from me, so I can only go by what she tells me. Speaking from experience from my 89 Supra, this is how it started to show signs of giving up. I told her there could be air in the cooling system and it may need to be "burped". Also, could it be the water pump? She says there are no signs of leakage under the car. Possibly thermostat?

If it turns out to be the head gasket, does anyone have any idea what an independent shop may charge to replace the head gasket and surface and inspect the head? Is the CO2 test of the coolant the most positive test to confirm a BHG?

Any and all advice/comments will be appreciated.

Old 05-14-2006, 12:59 PM
Default RE: Blown Head Gasket??

I'm new to this forum as well, as I have a '96 Camry 4-cylinder that is in need of a new head gasket. I'm in hopes that someone can post a do-it-yourself guide specific to our generation 3's. The quotes that I received from multiple shops (including resurfacing the head) ranged from $1100-$1300. Way more than than I expected! I'd like to tackle it myself once I know of the right tools, replacement parts/gaskets, and tips/tricks. Good luck.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:55 AM
Default RE: Blown Head Gasket??

Al, it could just be the thermostat so try changing it. I dont think it would be the water pump because this part is usually either a go or no go - it works or it doesnt: the impeller turns or it doesnt, it leaks or doesnt. If it were seizing up or something you'd know but fast because the TB would snap.

Usually a head gasket just blows, theres not often an intermediate stage. The following are signs of a blown head gasket: Coolant coming out the tail pipe, coolant (burned or otherwise) on the spark plugs, exhaust gas smell from the coolant, coolant in the oil making it look milky (i.e. your oil level goes UP).

Big hoss i've done a lotta valve jobs and i just get a ready-to-go remanuf cylinder head from a shop, on an exchange core basis. And i save about $500 or more in labor. And you need a gasket set, a timing belt and water pump and pulleys (if you can afford it might as well change these parts while everythings in pieces).
Heres a link for toyota factory manuals (Adobe)

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t132391.html