General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 11:36 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Brake fluid flush

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 06:06 AM
Default Brake fluid flush

How often, (if at all), should the Brake Fluid be replaced on a 2005 Camry. MAVIS suggests every 30,000 miles @ $79.95

Old 07-23-2009, 02:59 PM

Depends on where you live. Here in NC the humidity is so bad I do mine once per year. Brake fluid absorbs water, unless you have the new silicone, then maybe the 30K will be ok. When in doubt flush it, it is pretty cheap insurance.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:34 PM
Talking

Most people drive their cars for years and thousands of miles without ever doing anything but adding a little when brake work is done and the lines have to be bled. Under normal driving conditions no one will ever notice the difference in braking. I would venture to say that only a few manufacturers even suggest replacing the fluid and most of us on these forums probably can't afford those cars. My question to those who suggest that it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY is simply; How does it benefit you?
Most of us will trade, sell, wear out engines and transmissions, or wreck the vehicle before old brake fluid will ever cause a problem.

That said I like to siphon out the resivoir and refill every year or so. When I do any brake work requiring bleeding I will give the pedal a couple extra pumps to clear the lines. Those of us on these forums like to tinker with and pamper our cars and often do stuff that will not make any difference in the long run. But it does make us happy today and that means a lot. I try not to confuse things I must do to my cars and things I like to do to my cars. Sometimes that distinction gets fuzzy. I say change it every day if it makes you happy, but you probably never really have to.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by flyerI
Those of us on these forums like to tinker with and pamper our cars and often do stuff that will not make any difference in the long run. I say change it every day if it makes you happy, but you probably never really have to.
The discoloration in brake fluid is water. Water boils at 212F at sea level and lower at elevation. When you need your brakes, like long down hills or emergency braking, boiling water in the brake system will not help you stop, nor will water extend the life of components.

Manufacturers don't tell you to do a lot of things, that doesn't make doing them useless or that they won't reduce wear and tear and early breakage. When
Americans thought at turning over their cars every 2-3 years and accumulating unsustainable debt was the thing to do then maintenance could always be left to the next owner, but now that vehicles may be driven longer then YOU are the next owner.