General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

broken caliper pin

Old 05-27-2015, 12:28 AM
Unhappy broken caliper pin

me and my helper was replacing the front brake pads on camry 2006 4cyl, when one of the caliper pins was stuck we tried everything we could think of,
so we thought we try using a ratchet to loosen it, then SNAP! the head of the pin snapped off. so we put the head of the caliper pin in the rubber sleeve thing and lined up the caliper screw hole to it and tightened it down then tightened the upper bolt, it was tight to fit the caliper over the broken bolt pin head but it tightened up really good, we bleed tall the tires then we drove the car around and got up to like 50 mpg and slammed the brakes, did that a couple of times , then drove it around again, all seems fine, I am wondering how long this will hold out and how to remove the rest of the caliper pin left inside, its all there except the head. any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

What?

The pin is stuck in the hole?

You tried to remove the pin by using a socket and ratchet and what broke off? The head of the pin? If so what are you screwing the bolt into. The broken part and the threads in the stuck pin?

The other problem is the pin must be free to move or as the brakes pads wear the pad holder (caliper) will not be able to adjust causing problems.

Does any part of the stuck pin still protrude out of the hole?

Best bet might be an auto junk yard to obtain a replacement torque plate

Old 05-27-2015, 09:56 PM

the caliper pin in the bracket, one of the 2 caliper pins, the bottom one, it was stuck, the rubber boot it had on it was like melted on it, so my helper had a great idea, to use a ratchet and a cheater bar, while i was tightening the other tire bolts, I heard a snap, and then i looked and the right below the head of the caliper pin it was broke, so we put the caliper over the head and lined it up to the screw hole and tightened it up, and put the top screw in and tightened that up, bleed the brakes and went for a drive been working really good since last night when this happened. I decided to change out the bracket and put new pins.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Another temporary fix suggestion is if the threaded portion of the hole goes deeper then the current bolt, use a longer threaded bolt.

However the strength of the fitting has been lowered and given this is the braking system, concur on replacing the parts.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:10 PM

If I'm just replacing a caliper pin and bolt, do I really need to bleed all the brakes?

Old 05-30-2015, 08:37 AM

another ?, the bottom caliper pin is that supposed to keep turning even after I tightened the bolt to the head of that caliper pin? I put a wrench on the head of the caliper pin to tighten the bolt to it, but when I took the wrench off the head of the caliper pin I check to see how tight the bolt was and the caliper pin kept turning with the bolt.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

The pin should be tightened up the caliper enough it doesn't turn. If you can rotate the bolt and pin check for proper torque, grease between parts, etc.