General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camry 1999 display issues plus more

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Default Camry 1999 display issues plus more

After a engine/transmission swap and a few other changes my car was running great till today. The RPM, miles and a few other things above the steering wheel isn't displaying. But the lights in that general area works. Car is also having problems holding power at idle. Even though seems like a battery issue the displays are completely not working but lights are dim. I've taken the battery to the autozone to get it checked they said it has no charge. And it's a new battery. Could something be draining the battery?

Any advice?

Old 11-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

4 cylinder or V6 engine, stick or manual trans?

All lights and gauges worked before the swap?

Is the gauge console dead. What works such as fuel gauge, warning lights, etc?

The console does have a dimmer ****.

Did you swap the same year engine and trans?

Old 11-20-2013, 06:22 AM

4 cylinder automatic. I swapped transmission/engine with a 2001 camry All the gauges worked before. I'm almost certain that it's a fuse issue. I got figured out the battery/power issue. Maybe the fuse went bad when there wasn't a good circulation of power since there was power issues.

Lights on the console work but the gauges don't work. Fuel,rpm,temp,mileage and MPh don't work. I'll put in new fuses ad see what happens.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Check the Gauge fuse.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:06 PM

Thanks it was the gauge fuse. I changed it and a few hours later the fuse blew agian. There's some sort of "short circuit" somewhere.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Gauge fuse powers many items.

Since engine/trans was replaced suggest starting with the wiring that might have been disturbed or damaged during the swap. Check wiring to speed sensor on trans diff housing and trans park/neutral/gear indicator light switch behind trans gear shift lever. Gauge fuse power is the red/blue wires.

The fuse also powers in full or part the daytime running lights main relay, integration relay for auto light turn off system, power window system, moon roof, gear indicator lights on console, taillight/brake light out sensor in trunk, back up lights, cruise control, seat belt, instrument cluster tach, speedo and console indicator lights.

If you find no wiring issues in the engine compartment take note of when the fuse blows (tach or other instrument stops working) and what you were doing at the time such as:

Moving the gear shift from Park to R (R turns on backup lights) or D (backup lights will come for a brief second). Plus when changing gears the gear indicator P/N switch on the trans will be working.

Putting the brake (uses the brake light out sensor).
Turning on headlights, headlights on an braking (integration relay and tail light out sensor).
Ditto above but also applying brakes (brake/tail light sensor).
Using power windows, gauge powers integration relay.
Using door locks, ditto.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:17 PM

Found out today that changing gears will make the fuse blow. What's the 1st thing I need to do? I'm really kind of new at repair on cars.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

First thing find out what gear the fuse blows in.

Start in Park then move to Reverse, Neutral, etc. until going to Low. Stop at each gear position and long enough to find out if the fuse blows. The gear location the fuse blows makes a difference in what may be wrong.

If Reverse check wiring in trunk where the wiring harness transitions from the chassis to the trunk lid. The wiring can break and short due to constant flexing when the lid moves open/close.

If some other gear you will need to run down the wiring for that gear. The gear shifter arm moves a cable that moves the shift arm on the transmission. The arm has a electric switch that changes position as the arm moves.

If the shifter is in Reverse the switch would be connected to the reverse wiring circuits that includes the back up lights and indicator bulb on the console.

If Neutral is selected the switch is connected Neutral wiring which includes the starter motor circuit to allow starting in Neutral and the indicator bulb.

Same for the other gears.

Run the test and post back with findings as to which gear the fuse blows in.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:39 AM

Thanks Joey. I'll test it today.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:44 AM

Yes definitely the fuse blows in reverse. Doesn't matter if it's in (park) shifting past (reverse) into (drive) the gauge fuse will blow. What's my next step?

Quick Reply: Camry 1999 display issues plus more