General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which camry do I keep????

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Default which camry do I keep????

I am lucky enough to have 2 camrys, but I cannot afford to keep them both, one I have had since late 2005 ( paid about $4000 for it in late 05), it is a 1993 LE with the 2.2 4 cylinder. I have done lots to it (all stock) like put new head light lens units in, new antenna, new left axle, new timing belt in 2007 at about 115K, new stereo and speakers in 2005 and lots of other stuff like new window motors and switches. Oh yea the car has 121,000 miles on it, has a few scrapes and bumps but for the most part is in good shape and has only let me down with theshiftergetting stuck in park onand off and I am in the middle of fixing that up now.It is silver and only one area of the paint is showing wear.The timing belt, and axles I have had done by a retired 30 year toyota mechanic and the minor stuff like lights and window motors and stereoI have done myself, it really is a great car. I have kept up all the maintenance since I have owned it ( oil changes myself). It has a clean carfax.

The other camry I just picked up about three weeks ago for ONLY $1000. It also has a clean carfax.It is a 1993 V6 XLE with 130,000 on it. Thisone is the tan/champagne color and the paint is a little better than my silver one but close to the same conditon.It has cloth seats similar to my other one.Just tonight I got it back from my same retired mechanic ( he is only late 50s)who I paid $50 to evaluate it and tell me what it needed to bring it up to par. It has a bad oil leak which I knew already and a bad left axle that I knew already. The timing belt was last changed at 64,000 and who knows what year ( cannot read it),so it needs that IMHO and my mechanic says so too. The car is in similar condition to my first camry body wise, pretty decent. Obviously it is a higher level model than mine. It has a sun roof that my first does not have and an interor push button light and bigger console that I do not have. I had a camry about 5years agothat went to about 180,000when the tranny went and that one wasalso a 1993 and had the sunroof but a 4 cyclinder.My mechanic says the front 3 cylinders on this V6have 165 pounds of compression in them and he said the back three were just too hard to get to tonight but he thinks the engine is fine except for the leaks but he said the leaks are bad. it also has a REALLY obnoxious after market alarm system we both hate. For about $1100 he will redo the valve covers, left axle, timing belt, the seal on that side of the engine,water pump and disconnect the alarm though he said he will have to splice some wires. he said he would wait on the other seal because that requires separating the tranny from the engine but he does have to do the axle on that side anyway but that would cost me more, but he says wait on that side and see what it is like after the first fixsince he cannot see as much oil leaking from there or just plain cannot see it (I am not sure which).I have always wanted a V6 but my 4 has pretty good pep itself. My mechanic says both engines are good engines, he said equal in longevity. Just from my limited time of driving this V6,my 4 has a surprising amount of "pep" compared to this 6 so it is not an easy choice for me sinceI do not see a HUGE difference, the V6may be a bit smoother is what I mostly notice and more zip on "stepping on it " when needed ( torque maybe??).

Heck I do not know which one to keep!!!! I guess they are both cheap but I am on disability and not rolling in dough or I would not have 16 year old cars , the XLE does need work on the stereo, i get ZERO sound out of the left side speakersand it has the original stereo from WAY backin it still but I can do that myself over time.I have a 1997 Nissan pickup trucktoo, a 1994 Ford taurusI cannot get rid of with only 78K original ( carfax verified)on it but a tranny going badand I do not know what kind of gas mileage a Camry V6 will get. My 4 gets about 30-32 highway and only low to mid 20s driving around town. Obviously I love cars and I love Camrys, they fit me perfect, 6'1 200 pounds.

What do I do with two semi-equal cars??? Whichone do I keep? The truck is too useful, the taurus will not sell with the half bad tranny,What can I get for either Camry? I know smaller cars are bringing decent $$$ these days. Can I get $3500 for my 4 cyclinder since it is so up to date onmaintenance or is that wishful thinking? Should I "flip" the XLE if I can ( I doubt I can in that condition before fixing)Any opinions appreciated! Thanks

Old 12-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: which camry do I keep????

If your asking opinions suggest you keep the 4 cylinder, why?

You know the condition of the car which is very good.
It should get a little better MPG.
The engine is easier to work on.
You don't seem to miss the power of the V6.
Gasoline may not always be cheap. When prices were high the 4 cylinder was more in demand.

The V6 car needs work and may need additional work later on as you have not lived with the car.

The V6 needs a rear engine crank seal, this is an expensive repair as the trans needs to be removed.

As few other issues:

Did the mechanic check the V6 for engine sludge? This can be done by removing one valve cover.

What is the condition of both cars trans (assuming automatic). If the trans fluid was never changed the trans tends to go bad starting after 100K.

For prices on the cars try Craigslist for your local area. Camry prices vary location.

Might sell the Tarus now that gas prices are down and get what you can for price. Someone may want a fixer upper.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:43 PM

thanks toyomoho, yea i know you are right on keeping the 4 cyclinder, I am sucker for fixer uppers myself, just that I have limits on what I can or feel comfortable doing on my own, I can do some stuff, but not all the harder stuff............I am "halves" in another fixer upper I have not mentioned here and if that EVER sells, maybe these decisions will not have to be made right now causeI will have more $$$, and NO he did not check for sludge ( I knowfriend who got a free engine in an Avalon of similar vintage due to that and I guess that is the same motor huh??).............but anyway thanks a ton, I appreciate your help on all my posts!

Old 12-24-2008, 10:57 AM

Hi there subpar,
I just got a 96 Camry but have delved in cars for years, and used to own a 93 Camry V6. I would definitely agree with Toyomoto and keep the I4 instead of the fixer-upper V6, for all the reasons he indicated. The leaks and worn items on the XLE give me an impression that this car was likely driven harder than your I4, and possibly saw less maintenance. Hence the repairs required now (and who knows in the future). As they say, sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't (ie the V6 one). You should be thankful to have a good Toyota mechanic to inspect and repair your cars.
Good luck.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:23 AM

thanks to you too RSLT ( sorry I know I got that wrong). You and Toyomoho are right I know, so I am definitely keeping the 4 cyclinder Camry i know well, the maintenance is up on it, and it runs good, good stereo. It has been and will stay my daily driver.

I am pretty handy, Iused to fool with old pontiacs and installed motors and trannys on those, granted i did not rebuildthem and they were 68 and 69 models,and I rent a small room in a building that is big enough for one car, NO LIFT in it but I have access to a lift if need but not for long periods. I am thinking about keeping this camry as a "project car"..........yes i could ruin it I guess, but I only paid $1000 for it. And from looking in the opening to add oil.........of course then again, I might just put it in an auction as is..................heck if I know........anyway thanks for both of you alls opinions!