General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

check engine light on--P0171 & P1130 codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: check engine light on--P0171 & P1130 codes

My suggestion would be that you have an issue with the MAF(Mass Airflow Sensor). Considering that your having an Air to Fuel Ratio issue

Old 07-03-2007, 09:20 PM

where is the MAF sensor located in the 98 camry 4cylinder?

Old 07-21-2007, 10:44 AM

replaced my fuel cap andtightened my intake hose clamps and so far no engine light

Old 07-21-2007, 11:10 PM

The light will go on and off for a number of reasons. The engine will try to correct the problem itself. Specially in this case being air fuel delivery system. Sometimes i think they just come on for no reason and the go away only to bug you a week or two later. It could be you didnt tighten your gas cap down enough i guess. But ive never forgotten to tighten it down to be honest. Considering you ran the code and looked it up, your on the right track. Throwing parts at a problem in my opinion will never help solve it.

Being that its a fuel delivery system all these post are correct. You should replace most if not all the things as stated before. Being a 98 and a toyota im guessing it has well over if not around 100k. My suggestion is to get a tune-up if you havent had one done lately to say the least. Sense its a fuel delivery problem id recommend and specially if its at 100k to replace the o2 sesnors belts hoses plugs all fluids have the brakes inspected tires checked filters changed pcv is a mustect. Most of these things a normal house hold mechanic can do. However a code that you stated was a metering control device for the fuel air systems. Thats almost anything. A maf 02 sensor tps maybe? and being that it gave you two different codes to me indicates much more than just a single problem. You could have maybe even put a higher grade of gas which would be a likely canididate in my opinion. But for now its off and you should have no worries right?

Old 07-22-2007, 02:26 PM

(P1130)i got the same code for the same car. all it is is your 02 sensor. it cost me $550 dollars to get it fixed. but now that i realize it you should get thesensor yourself and replace it yourself wich will save you labor cost.this will get rid of the light and will allow you to pass emissions.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Default In reference to PO1130 & PO171 codes

Originally Posted by lavalleemike
My suggestion would be that you have an issue with the MAF(Mass Airflow Sensor). Considering that your having an Air to Fuel Ratio issue
I own a 99' Camry, it has 72,000mi. on it. The check engine light has been going on and off after a certain amount of miles but is never consistantly coming on at the same amount of miles every time. I have a mechanic and each time that I've checked to see what the problem was, I get the same codes. PO171 & PO1130. Now he looked in his mechanic book and the PO1130 code means that the (Air fuel ratio sensor) is bad. You can't get that at auto zone or a regular part store, you have to go to Toyota. They're the only place you can get it. Auto Zone wasn't even able to find an Air fule ratio sensor/they didn't know what it was.. It cost's about $212.00 but that's in NY I'm not sure about other states. The PO171 code means System to lean Bank 1.. Basically saying your system is running to lean and it has to do with Air fule ratio's.... There's no way it can be an O2 sensor because you would get a code for that. It's absolutley the Air fuel ratio sensor. I got the sensor from Toyota and the check engine light hasn't come back on. The car runs better as well. Another thing about Camry's... They don't have MAF sensor's (well at least my 99' doesn't) they have MAP sensors. If you're not sure if your Camry has a MAP or MAF just look on the underside of your hood and it'll tell you!. Another thing, if you let the Air fuel ratio sensor go for too long without fixing it you could mess up your CAT eventually.. That's what I was told by Toyota. I hope that by sharing my experience, I helped someone.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Default 1997 Camry 4-clyn 45Kmils PO171 Erro Code

Folks,

I have a similar issue with the PO171 Error Code.
1997 Camry 4-clyn.
The car runs great. No issue with gas mileage.
Tried to get the car to pass CA Smog Check with check engine light on.
It passed emmissions but failed the functional test with the error code of PO171 System to lean (bank 1)
Questions
1) Is this O2 sensor or MAF?
2) How do you diagnosis?
3) Where are the O2 Sensors or MAF, Can you post a diagram or photo?
4) Should I just clear the erro code by disconnecting the neg terminal and try to pass smog again or is this code an indication that the car could start experiencing future problems?
5) What is the best course of action for this problem?

Thanks for your input

Auburncam

Old 03-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Issues that can cause this code are below:
Engine air intake or exhaust leaks.
Low fuel or blocked injector.
Oxygen sensor (bank 1 sensor 1).
MAP.
Engine coolant temp sensor (ECT).

Check for air leaks in engine air intake system and exhaust leaks.

The MAP sensor is normally bolted to the firewall with a small vacuum hose running to the throttle body. Check the hose for leaks.

The emissions test taps into the cars ODBII system. The test requires the majority of self checks to be complete. Clearing the codes resets all tests and requires them to be run again. Most likely they will not be complete by the time the test is done.

How does the engine operate? Start and run normally hot or cold, normal power, idle, no missing, no change in MPG, etc.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:19 PM
Default Now other code.

After test drove car about 30 miles, another code came back again. And it said coolant thermostat problem. Well, this is the things i will do. I will replace thermostat and ECT sensor together, erase code, and i will test drive miles again with Readiness code.

I will make report again this weekend.

Thanks, Toyomoho.

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Issues that can cause this code are below:
Engine air intake or exhaust leaks.
Low fuel or blocked injector.
Oxygen sensor (bank 1 sensor 1).
MAP.
Engine coolant temp sensor (ECT).

Check for air leaks in engine air intake system and exhaust leaks.

The MAP sensor is normally bolted to the firewall with a small vacuum hose running to the throttle body. Check the hose for leaks.

The emissions test taps into the cars ODBII system. The test requires the majority of self checks to be complete. Clearing the codes resets all tests and requires them to be run again. Most likely they will not be complete by the time the test is done.

How does the engine operate? Start and run normally hot or cold, normal power, idle, no missing, no change in MPG, etc.