General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Collant issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Default Coolant issues

Hello all,

My daughter's 1995 camry 4 cyl has an unusual problem. Over the last few years we've replaced the timing belt/water pump and the radiator with all new hoses.. In the last few weeks she'd call and say that there was a puddle of coolant, about 3 feet in diameter under the right front area of the engine compartment. The overflow bottle was dry and the radiator was about 3-4 inches low. We'd add coolant and the car would do fine for a week or so, then the dumping of coolant happened again, maybe after 150 miles of driving. The overflow bottle had a few holes in it where it attaches to the clip, so I replaced it with a new one along with all new hose. It still did it. I then replaced the radiator cap. I drove the car for about 20 miles parked it and looked for leaks about an hour later. All was good, not a drop was missing out of the overflow bottle and nothing on the ground. My daughter made several short trips and parked the car. About an hour later she checked and there were no leaks. She then came out the next morning and the overflow bottle was almost empty and there was a 1 foot by 2 foot puddle again in the same location. Does anyone know how this leak can occur after many days or weeks of no leaks, then dumping while sitting over night. Very odd. Thanks for any help!!

Last edited by sunderll; 01-11-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

A few things to check.

The radiator top and bottom are plastic and over time can start to crack. These cracks start out very small then typically become much larger. Inspect the upper and lower tank area for signs of coolant.

Look down between the radiator and engine at the top of the plastic shield at the bottom of this area. This is typically where coolant would collect before dripping onto the ground.

Did you replace all the coolant lines?

The bypass hose running between the coolant outlet body and cylinder head can start to split and leak. This is not in the area of the puddle through.

Below the oil filter is an oil cooler. Coolant runs to and from the cooler via hoses. These hoses are not known to leak but could fail and are in the area of the puddle.

There are also a couple of pipe joint fittings where steel pipes go into the back of the housing that the pump mounts on.

I suggest with engine cold you use a flash light and you hands to run over the various hose and pipes for signs of coolant. If leaking this much coolant you should be able to trace back from the puddle to the source.

It is not uncommon for a leak to come and go, suspect it may be due to how hot the coolant becomes and as a result how much pressure is built up in the coolant system. Have found stop and go driving aggravates these kind of leaks.

The issue is the problem can get worse and result in a rapid lose of coolant.

There are dyes that can put into the coolant to help track the leak.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Default Great ideas

Thanks Joey,

I'll check these items. All of the main hoses have been changed recently as well as the radiator, but I'm gonna spend a good amount of time on this so she doesn't get stranded at 2AM somewhere..Thanks for your help!!

Old 09-17-2014, 12:10 PM

Hi this maybe the problem I am having. The car has a lot of miles on her. We drive 100 miles per day. One day she overheated. Seems to loosse a lot of coolant overnight. Could this be a water pump and thermostat issue or most likely the hoses. Thanks so much. Very low on money and hoping friend can do tho for me if its not serious. Without the dye is there another option for checking where leaks coming from

Old 09-17-2014, 02:32 PM

Can you please help me???? U seem very knowledgeable.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Year of car and engine type-4 cylinder or V6?

How hot did the engine get when overheated, did the temp gauge go into the red?

Any white smoke out the tail pipe when staring the engine after sitting overnight?

Any signs of coolant on the floor under the engine area?

Engine cold, use your hand to feel any coolant hoses you can find for signs of coolant.

Make sure the small hose running from the radiator fill port to the overflow reservoir (where you add coolant) is not leaking/still in good condition and still is connected to the reservoir.

Check the engine side of the upper radiator tank for leaks. Tank is plastic and can start leaking from cracking.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:18 PM

hi I have a 91 Toyota camry v6 just had the harmonic balancer timing belt water pump 3 other belts idler thermostat cam seal set front crank seal done and since day one there has been a leak under the car not a puddle enough to wet the cement . over flow tank is empty radiator full but have put a more antifreeze in it .. I look under the car cant see the leak although there is a plastic cap that screws in and below that there is an opening not sure what it is or to can anyone tell me the mechanic said I had an oil leak and it would take about 2 weeks to see where it was coming from but it isn't oil it looks like it at first but the cement dries and there is no stain and I have had to put coolant in ....??? thanks if anyone can help

Old 09-27-2014, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Place cardboard under engine to catch drip. Mark cardboard to allow orientation with engine after removing it from under car to help narrow down the area of the leak. Determine if leak is under drivers side of engine, radiator area, etc.

Oil will stay dark, coolant will evaporate and become less noticeable.

If a shop did the water pump work and now leaking coolant, it is their job to fix it. The Water pump change required draining coolant system and taking parts off.