General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

dash lightbulb replacement - 01 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:57 AM
Default dash lightbulb replacement - 01 Camry

Is it difficult to replace a burned out light in the Camry dash? I have an 01 Camry and the fuel/temp guage light is out on the instrument panel... thanks Tim

Old 10-04-2007, 07:47 AM
Default RE: dash lightbulb replacement - 01 Camry

I have the same question. Recently part of my spedometer has gone dark. It's more annoying having a partially dark dash than a hinderance right now. The wife says I don't need to see the 80-140mph part anyway since I shouldn't be driving that fast.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

I dont think it's too dificult. it would just be time consuming. I remember when i did my gauges you had to take apart the dash, then the cluster/instrument panel. If i remember right, the light bulb is in back of the cluster/instrument panel and you replace the bulb as if changing the bulb on your headlights.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:21 PM

I can't comment on an 01. But boogz is right about not difficult but time consuming. You need patience and no inclination to force anything. I have pulled my combination meter to change a gear selection light. You need to figure out how the plastic parts are connected and attached and in which order to take them out. For instance in my 95 the plastic piece below the radio is actually hooked at the top, so I needed to pry it out from the bottom and hinge it up to remove it. The rest was just screw removal and clips. You should get a Haynes to give you the location of hidden clips and screws. As always with air bags I would disconnect the battery first and wait for 1 minute or so for the back-up capacitor to discharge.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:18 PM

This is really easy, I have done a ton of them. First locate the bezel screws on the top of the bezel. The bezel is the trim around the cluster. if you have a tilt, tilt it all the way down. once the screws are out pop the bezel out and expost the cluster. There will be four 4 screws holding in the cluster. remove them. this is where finesse is required. move the cluster forward toward you and gently tilt the plexy glass toward the column.You will most likely have to pull it forward a ways. Don't worry, there should be enought slack in the wiring. I believe there are four connectors back there. There may only be three, anyway you must disconnect them. Once those are disconnected, pull toward you a bit more and slide out the left of the column. To reinstall reverse removal procedure. ALSO, remember to replace ALL of the bulbs. Now that you have disturbed the placemant and shaked the cluster about, it would really suck if you had to take it back out a day or two 2 later because you left a few old ones in there. Have fun...... The toyota guy...... amdsgd

Old 10-09-2007, 04:24 PM

well, any luck tg305???

Old 10-09-2007, 08:03 PM

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. I haven't had time to fool with it so far. One of the questions I didn't ask is if it would be a good idea to change out all the bulbs...apparently my instincts were right. I think all the hidden clips and screws were making it less obvious to me, unlike my old chevy.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:27 AM

I haven't taken the time to attempt the bulb replacement yet........ I am a bit reluctant to risk snapping clips off without the manual. I am best off getting a manual first. I will post when I do swap the bulbs out. Tim

Old 10-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Wise choice, better safe than sorry.

[sm=signs003.gif]