General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dash lights flicker and trip meter resetting

Old 12-27-2014, 12:57 PM
Default Dash lights flicker and trip meter resetting

Hey everyone! So I've had this issue intermittently for about a year now on my 2007 Camry SE:

Every once in awhile my dash lights (drive indicator, cruise control indicator, and basically any lights on the dash surrounding the tach and speedo) will flicker and my trip meter will stick at zero. Then, for not reason at all, the dash lights come back on and then turn off again a few minutes or moments later. If I've been driving for a long time and they've been out for a while then sometimes the lights on my radio/AC control unit go out as well. Again the trip meter will sit on trip A at zero for quite a while, and won't let me change to trip B or back to the primary mileage.

There are no performance issues with the vehicle during this time. It happens when it's hot, cold, or mild outside. It usually does not happen when I first start the vehicle, but after I've been driving for some time, but this is not always the case.

I have not found anything on any forum where someone has had this issue and had it fixed, so I'm wondering if any of you have seen this before? Anything I can try to test to isolate the cause? I'm thinking there's a short in the dash wiring behind the instrument panel and as I'm driving the wires move around and sometimes lose contact, but it's so sporadic that I'm not sure this is even the case .

Thanks for any and all insight you folks might provide! Appreciate you!

Old 12-28-2014, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

For lights, etc:
Drive indicator-Is this gear selector indicator?
Cruise control indicator
Lights around speedo and tach
Trip meter sticks at zero

Then in addition to the above now happening (or is this a separate event)?
Radio/AC control lights

Any issues with the speedo indication when this happens? Any of the dash gauges start acting up? When this happens again, check if problem extends to glove box light for both conditions, dash lights and radio/AC.

Last edited by toyomoho; 12-28-2014 at 11:01 AM.