General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

diffy fill plug location ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Default diffy fill plug location ?

1999 v6 camry . i drained the differential , but dont know how to fill it back up .. lol , i assumed there would be a fill plug somewhere , but i cant find it . any help will be greatly appreciated

Old 04-09-2007, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: diffy fill plug location ?

welcome to the forums.

you drained the transmission you mean. the differential and tranny are the same for your camry.
RED ATF fluid.

Well technically there are two plugs at the drain pan. One on the bottom (probably the one you opened to drain the fluid out from), and one on the side of the pan closer to the engine oil pan side. If you had a pump you could fill it till it reaches the lip of the fill hole, but since most of us don't have such tools, we simply plug the drain hole back up and fill the fluid with a funnel through the transmission fluid dipstick hole.

Be careful not to overfill. It should take around 4 quarts if you did a regular drain. Constantly check the fluid level to make sure the fluid NEVER goes past the HOT area on the dipstick.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:22 AM

glad to be here ..,thanks alot for your reply, i'll be sure to post some pics soon .. no i actually dropped the transmission pan and replaced the gasket and filter , then i drained the differential , it was a hex plug on the rear of the diffy (pointing toward rear) . i have a pump , should i just fill it through the plug i removed ? you have a 98 v6 so if yours shares the diff/trann fluids i guess i should be safe just filling through the dipstick .

Old 04-09-2007, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator

oh u did a sort of overhaul.

uhm my haynes manual covers 97-01 camry and states that the diff and tranny are shared. Fill through dipstick should not be a problem. Its probably the neatest way of doing it.