General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 camry 4 cy, overheating ???

Old 10-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Default 93 camry 4 cy, overheating ???

hello eveybody here at this site,
my girlfriend was driving my cay and it overheated on her on the freeway, she drove it till it shut off , she said that the gage never got to hot mark ?????, towed the car to the service station and replaced the radiator and thermostat car ran fine for about a week till i ran it on the freeway, when i started to pass a slower car after passing the car the needle on the gage shot up to the red then i gave it some gas then it shot back to normal, i checked the oil for water and oil looks fine, does anybody have a clue on whats going on with my car, help please,,,thank you , dan

Old 10-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 93 camry 4 cy, overheating ???

did the car over heat the second time or just the needle moved. It could be short in the electrical system causing the needle to go up and down. I would think the best way to determine this would be to hook up an aftermarket temp. guage. and see what that tells you the tempature is.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:58 PM

My car is in my sig (94 camry) same thing pretty much. I have the same problem. I have replaced the temperature sender unit, the temperature senser ( the senser for the fan) the thermastat, and a coolant flush. My guage goes up and down constantly, and when i stop it starts to rise like you described, then when i take off it starts to drop again. But the fans kick on before it reaches red. So the only thing i have left o replace is the water pump. I have an exterior head gasket leak, but my oil is fine so it's no leaking into the oil. Anyone have this same problem with a fix?

Old 10-30-2006, 12:08 AM

i still have the overheating problem,if i drive around town its fine the when i jump on the freeway , running high rpm's then its starts to over heat, the i put it in nutural and the the temp. goes back to normal ??????
i have gone to a couple of repair shops and some say head casket and the other have so water pump
one shop will charge me $700 to do water pump, timing belt and head casket turn aournd time 3 days >>>>>>

i still check the oil if fact got an oil change oil was fine
but i do have rusty water?????

Old 10-30-2006, 12:08 AM

i still have the overheating problem,if i drive around town its fine then when i jump on the freeway , running high rpm's then its starts to over heat, the i put it in nutural and the the temp. goes back to normal ??????
i have gone to a couple of repair shops and some say head casket and the other half say water pump
one shop will charge me $700 to do water pump, timing belt and head casket turn aournd time 3 days >>>>>>

i still check the oil if fact i got an oil change oil was fine no water
but i do have rusty water????? with my anti freeze