General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Default Engine won't turn over

Hello All, I just got a 1994 camry 2.2l with about 140k miles..(no background history or record)..anyway..the car was driving smooth for the last couple weeks..yesterday..I heard alot of noise coming from the timing belt cover area..I drove the car for about 20miles..still the same..but at the parking lot..I saw a steam come up from the hood..(no overheat..temperature seem normal)..I found a leak coming from the timing belt cover..Iam assuming the water pump broke..I let the car cool down for a few hours..I add more coolant to thetank hoping that I can drive the car home..but all the coolant empty out very fast..and now the car won't turnover either..it just cranking and cranking but won't start up..anyway..how do I get the car turnover so I can drive it to the tow dolly? also I need a DIY guide for water pump (and possiblely the timing belt) too..any input or advise would help..thanks

Old 11-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Default RE: Engine won't turn over

Additional Info! I also lost the power steering when this happened..power steering fluid in normal level..but it's very very hard to turn the steering to the left or right..look like I got no power from the steering pump or something...hope this can pin point to something or relative to my engine not turnover..thanks

Old 11-28-2008, 05:55 AM
Default RE: Engine won't turn over

I suspect your timing belt has broken, or slipped a tooth. It is possible that the water pump seized. If you pull the distributor cap off and the rotor does not turn while you crank the engine, then the TBhas broken. A slipped tooth will be harder to diagnose. I would pull the TB cover off to inspect. It also sounds like yourpower steering belt has broken. That's the troubleaboutused carswith no history, you have to assume no prevenative maintenance. If it's all of the above you can look at spending about$300+ on parts alone if they're aftermarket. Get quotes on the labor if you choose not to DIY.