General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 12:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

First Post... Hello ! 2007 Oil Consumption Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 02:59 PM
Default same thing here

hate to cut in but Im having the same issue about 4 years ago I took my car to the dealer and they told me it was normal to loose oil (a 1/2 quart every 2 weeks) and now with this "enhanced warranty" toyota wont do the test until I get a very small oil leak fixed coming from the timing belt cover....is this right? ....they quoted me at 1,500.00 to do the job..I also joined the class act lawsuit

thanks for any info

07 camry se 4 cycl

Old 04-16-2015, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

This thread has links to the Toyota enhanced warranty. It states nothing about leaks but oil consumption.

1 quart of oil per 1200 miles is considered normal, above this abnormal.

Any response to the class action lawsuit from Toyota?

Old 04-16-2015, 08:31 PM

no not yet hopefully soon, I figured since they seen the small leak they cant or wont do the consumption test till its fixed,is the timing belt gasket worth trying myself or do I need a bunch of specialty tools,1500 bucks is steep

thanks for any info

Old 04-16-2015, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

The engine does not have a timing belt but a chain. The chain cover uses sealant not an gasket.

Wash the engine down and pin point the leak. It could be coming from something other then cover. Have fixed leaks that were not under oil pressure with epoxy glue.

How large is the leak? Is this seepage or a drip?

Do your own oil consumption test. If less then 1 quart per 1200 miles Toyota is not going to do anything.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:05 PM

thank you toyomoho, will do and i'll let you kow how it turns out

thanks

Old 04-23-2015, 12:40 AM

We have a 2008 Camry 4clyinder and it uses probably about 2 quarts in 5k miles but I need to check it closer. The letter we got stated it would pay for repairs if you have this corrected at any shop. They requested copies of receipts etc. I called our dealer and talked to a service writer and he claimed it was valve stem seals causing the problem but that they didn't have the parts to make the repairs as of yet..Has anyone had this problem addressed if so what did they actually do to remedy it?

Old 04-23-2015, 11:55 AM

One thing that has been successful for others is to switch to 5-30W oil. The 2AZ-FE engine, as I understand it, was originally designed to run 5-30, but CAFE led Toyo to go to 0-20. I have heard of some hard core mechanic guys just running 5-30 and having less oil consumption issues.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:42 PM

So two weeks ago yesterday my daughter brought the car back for the level check after the 1,200 mile consumption test. The level was about a quart and a half down (see pics in previous post). While she was waiting at the dealer they added about 3 quarts back and overfilled it by a quart and a half on 4/8. I saw my daughter for her 21st birthday yesterday and checked the level at the restaurant. (really annoying BTW) and it was down about a half a pint. I may try another dealer or call toyota.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

zxdavid, how did the dealer come up with valve stem seals? Is the engine smoking at cold engine start up?

v10enomous, suggest doing your one test. If not at 1 quart per 1200 miles there is no sense pursuing the matter with the dealer. But perhaps with the class action suit.

If over this amount then pursue Toyota.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:33 AM

Engine is not smoking visibly.The car has 100k miles and used to not use much oil maybe a quart between changes which we do every 5k. I'm not happy at all. Saying that a quart of oil every 12 hundred miles is acceptable is a joke. I'm going to call Toyota customer service and see what's what. I always felt that Toyota was the last of the good stuff but I'm beginning to wonder.

Quick Reply: First Post... Hello ! 2007 Oil Consumption Issue