General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel Injection system: Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Default Fuel Injection system: Cleaner

This forum has been a source of immense help when I posted questions earlier, I am back again. 1990 Toyota Camry (V6 engine 2.5L 100K miles) just had a oxygen sensor and catalytic converter replaced. Was told by mechanic that my fuel injection systems needs cleaning.

Question: What is the best method (without spending a lot of money of course):

1. Manual cleaning by mechanic (what does this cost?)

2. Addition of cleaner in fuel tank? (a) how efficient is this (b) which cleaner should I use (googling gives names of Seafoam, Berryman Chemtool fuel treatment etc) (c) What should I be aware of when I try a do-it-yourself cleaning?

3. Any other methods (like http://www.auto-rx.com/)? Are these added to the engine oil or the fuel tank?

As you understand, I am a newbie, any help much appreciated.

Thanks, Leroy

Old 06-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Default ...

No one?

Old 06-12-2009, 03:38 AM

These forums are a bit slow, but worth the wait- it's the only one I have bothered to register on, in fact. Seafoam didn't help me, but Lucas did- my economy jumped a few mpg's after that first treated tank was used, and since then I have made sure to use only midgrade fuel, though many argue that a Camry doesn't know the difference. Mine did. My injectors are likely still a bit gummy, but perform beautifully for having 152,000 on them. What I did, and it works for me so far;
Castrol Syntech 10/30 every *3* months, with Gunk engine flush before, and Lucas synthetic stabilizer after, with a Bosch Premium filter....
Lucas fuel treatment every four or so tanks, or three months, and Shell or Mobil midgrade.
Shell has started advertising the addition of (more?) nitrogen in their fuel, but this may in fact reduce economy, no verdict that I've come across yet. This could be much like the Chevron "Techron"scenario, which contributed to slightly higher fuel burn, and more money for Chevron. Mobil and Exxon fuels are also pretty good, though I would still prefer Shell for what's available in my area, if the additives don't prove to be a ploy to line their wallets more. I'm interested in reading some of the more experienced members give an answer, there's always someone who can help, in time....

Last edited by Snickel Fritz; 06-12-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by bingroy
Was told by mechanic that my fuel injection systems needs cleaning.
Why? Rough idle, poor performance, missing, etc? Mechanic may just be trying to sell his fuel injector cleaning system. Hard to tell if fuel additives do anything unless better running is noticed after using. They can't hurt though. I'd use additive like Techron or Seafoam in gas tank a couple of times. 100k on injectors is not a lot. Best method would be to remove injectors and send them to a company that flow tests and corrects if needed - but that may be too costly to you if it is difficult to access injectors for removal. I used Witchhunter when I did major service on my engine. http://www.witchhunter.com/

Old 06-21-2009, 10:31 PM

Thank you Pedro and Fritz. I tried Techron and the car runs like a charm!!! Very smooth at high and low rpms and good fuel mileage as well.