General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Having Ignition/Starting Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 08:53 PM
Default Having Ignition/Starting Problems!

Hey my 97 Toyota Camry won't start. The battery won't charge, yet I got it tested and it is still good for a few more months. The engine has no clicking sound, its not even turning over. The car does have fuel in it. We are thinking that it is the coil, alternator, dispenser, or even just dirty wire connectors, what is your opinion? Thanks!

Old 01-17-2014, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

The battery was charged but still no engine turn over, yet battery tested good? How was it tested, by auto parts store?

What electrical items work on the car such as headlights, radio? When ign key is turned to ON, do the dash indicator lights come on?

If the car electrical system is completely dead then check battery connections, cables, fuses, etc.

If the car has electrical power to the lights, radio, etc could still be bad battery cables or connections but also check check cable running from positive battery cable to starter solenoid and the starter solenoid.

If you have jumper cables, use these to bypass the cars wiring and electrical system. Connect one between the negative battery terminal and a good ground point on engine. Connect the other to the positive battery terminal then touch the other end to the electrical connection lug on the starter solenoid that goes from the solenoid to the starter motor. If the engine now cranks over you have an electrical problem.

If the engine is not even turning over then coil, fuel, etc is not relevant at this time.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:49 PM

The battery was tested by Wal-mart, I have a warranty. Nothing works right now, after I jump it the electronics work for like five minutes, and the alarm will go off, then it slowly dies. Thank you for the info, we will try the jumper cables to the starter solenoid! Will get back at ya after that! Thanks!