General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 02:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

heater problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Default heater problem

hi all, i need help on a problem i am having with my toyota camry 2002. when i am driving i notice i can feel air coming out of the ventilation windows. the ac is off and the heater indicator show that it is off as well but for some reason hot air comes out. if i set the indicator to change from cold to hot or hot to cold, air still comes up. if it is in cold, cold air comes out and if set in hot then hot air comes up. i dont understand why this is a problem since the ac and heater are off. anybody can explain. thanks

Old 03-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: heater problem

Is this an automatic climate control system or manual?

The heater runs off engine coolant that circulates through a small radiator inside the car. The coolant flow is controlled by a valve. Open the valve and more coolant flows and thus more heat, close the valve and less coolant and heat.

The A/C system has it own cooling device inside the car called a evaporator. For the A/C to work the A/C compressor mounted on the engine must be working.

It is possible for the heater valve to become stuck open, in this case the heat will always be on.

The A/C compressor requires an elelctric circuit be connected. You should know the compressor is on as the enigne may laboring slightly and RPM rise when it turns on. You can also look at the compressor and tell if it is cycling on and off.

If the outside are temp is cold, you may be mistaking this cold air for the A/C system cold air. Warm air can only come from the heater.

Typically if you are still getting hot air when the setting is turn to cold, the heater valve is not working (common) or the heater control system has an issue (less common).

The valve is located inside the engine compartment drivers side. Look for a hose going into the firewall and a valve installed in this hose.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:56 AM

im not sure but i think it is an automatic climate control.
In the car, there is two *****. one to turn on the heater from low to high and another to set how hot/cold you want it. it has a blue line half way on one side and a red line connected to the blue line on the other side.
there is a button that says A/C

The A/C is off and the heater is set to off. now, when i move the second **** to the blue side of line, cold air come out. when i move the **** to the red side of the line, then hot air comes out. which i dont understand since heater is off. so i dont think it could be the A/C.

yes you are right, when i turn on the car. the RPM jump to 2000 or so and slowly goes down.

you mentioned the heater valve could be too open. where is that valve located? can you include a picture of the location if possible?

Old 03-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

It appears you have a manual control system.

The red/blue **** is supposed to open/close the heater control valve. This valve controls coolant moving through the heater core. Unless the **** is moved fully in the blue direction, the valve will be open to some degree.

The valve is located in the engine compartment, drivers side. You should see a couple of 1 inch diameter +/- hoses going into the firewall. One has the valve inserted into it, a control cable runs to the valve.

www.rockauto.com may have a photo of the valve.

Make sure that for some reason the A/C compressor is not constantly on. Start the engine, have someone press on the A/C button while you watch the compressor. When the switch is pushed the pump should start along with the coolant fans.

The pump uses a magnetic clutch to engage its drive pulley, thus the pulley is always turning. When the pump engages, the engine RPM should change a little in response to the increased load.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:50 PM

thanks for the reply. actually i think it is the a/c problem. this is what i did today. i click on the button for the a/c but the light doesnt turn on at all so basically i dont know if the a/c is on or off. i know air keeps coming out of the small windows. i keep pressing the button and the small light on the center is off all the time. looks like the a/c is always on regardless if the button is press or not. also the other **** to set lo-hi is off.

if compresson is constantly on, what should i do to turn it off. what about the small light on the middle of the button? why it is not turning on when the button is press? do you know how to fix it? thanks

Old 03-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

The light should come on if the system is working, most likely the system is off.

The pulley for the compressor is allows turning! The pulley has a magnetic clutch that when engaged locks up the pulley to the compressor shaft.

When doing this test if possible place your hand on the compressor when pushing the button. If the compressor kicks in you should feel it start to work, if there is no change it is not working.