General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Help: Battery Light came on power steering failure, cooling failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Default Help: Battery Light came on power steering failure, cooling failure

Hey Guys new to the Forums here been reading around but couldn't find a solution to my problem.

My car is a 2003 Toyota Camry LE with about 80,000 miles.

Today I was driving around while its raining and I was at a stop sign. The windows heated up so I turned on the heater to defog the windows and then I noticed that the battery lights came on. After they came on my power steering failed and I noticed my temperature gauge was at maximum in the red. Luckily I was less than a block from home.

So I opened up the hood and looked at my battery and noticed a whole lot of blue crap on my positive end on my battery.

All other electrics work including battery, wipers, dash lights, dome lights and all just the battery light is on all the time.

Its too dark to see anything else but I will try to clean this blue stuff off.

Anyone else know or have had this problem before? Is my car acting up because of the blue stuff on my positive connector? Other wise I'm thinking its my alternator or something.

Well I'm going to try to clean it off now and I will report back later.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

The blue stuff is a product of corrosion caused by the battery acid fumes acting on the the metals in the connectors.

Start by cleaning the battery cables. An internet search on cleaning engine battery, cleaning engine battery terminals. will produce many hits on how to do this.

Make sure the engine is not actually overheating!

Are you sure the engine did not quit resulting in no power steering?

Old 10-19-2011, 07:13 PM

It could be a number of things...The crap on the battery isnt to big of a deal but could cause some issues...Pour some soda (pepsi i think works best) on the terminals and itll come right off...then perhaps get some battery terminal protector and spray it...This will prevent it from happening again for the most part...

Id check to see if the serp belt snapped or if it has enough tension.(check the tensioner) .It shouldnt be to tight or to loose...That would cause the battery light (alternator not charing) to come on as well as your temp to rise (waterpump not turning to cool off the engine) on the gauge as well as powersteering (power steering pump not pumping) loss...All of those parts run off that drive belt..

Atleast that would be a good start...

Old 10-19-2011, 07:39 PM

Checked the car in the garage. Cleaned up the blue stuff on the battery. Reconnected battery and started the car up fine. Car started to shake a bit and cut off.

Looked at the belt and whatddya know the serp belt is disconnected.

So I guess the serp belt needs replacement? Not sure if I should be replacing the tensioner too? The belt fell off the track. I'll take it to a mechanic tomorrow I guess.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

The 02-04 suffered from a faulty tensioner causing rattling and belt squeal. If the belt fell of and the pulleys are OK might consider replacing.

Check the water pump pulley/drive shaft for excess play as in possible bearing failure plus any other pulleys driving by the belt.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:35 PM

Replaced my belt and everythings working fine again. Thanks all.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Great!