General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High-pitch whine with 2006 Camry radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Default High-pitch whine with 2006 Camry radio

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2006 Camry LE: V4; 6-CD JBL stereo unit; 34,000 miles. I noticed that when the radio was on (in either AM/FM/CD modes), there was a high-pitch whining that matched acceleration or deceleration. When the radio was turned off, the whine disappears.

After several trips to the Toyota dealer, I have a brand new stereo unit but the problem persists. I am now told that Toyota "knows" about this noise in its 2005-2006 Camrys and considers it "acceptable." I was also told that this had something to do with the analog amplifier found in those models.

Questions:
1) Has anyone else had this problem?
2) Any solutions?
3) I asked if I could upgrade to a digital amplifier and they said "no."

My next step is an independent car stereo shop, but I was seeking outside comments.

Thanks!

HG

Old 06-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Might be alternator noise. Read the post by wireless at the link below:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/ar.../t-163220.html

Old 06-18-2010, 11:59 AM

Ya i have heard bad alternator as well. I heard adding another ground strap works, cause the one it has now for some reason leads it through the radio.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Default Alternator?

Thanks for your suggestions.

The dealer, on the third attempt, did get into the guts of the electrical system. He said he checked all the grounds around the alternator and checked the voltage output of the alternator. I do not know if this is adequate testing or not.

Since Toyota Corporate considers the noise "acceptable" the dealer cannot say differently.

As to the link to the 2007 Camry with the iPod problems, I'm not sure if that is relevant or not. The dealer also told me that the 2005 and 2006 Camrys used an analog amplifier (or pre-amplifier) and the later models use digital amplifiers. I don't know how that affects the situation or not.

The whining is driving me crazy. I will be taking the car to an independent car stereo shop soon.

If anyone has other ideas, I would greatly appreciate them.

I will keep you posted on what I learn--if anything.

Thanks, again,

HG

Old 06-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Check the Toyotanation forum section dealing with entertainment systems.

The article might be relevant in you may have a ground loop noise problem. Do a Google search on ground loop noise, alternator noise.

Toyota has been using analog amps for years without noise issues. Some kind of signal is getting into the wiring most likely from the alternator.

Judging the noise "Acceptable" is just Toyota's way of passing the buck back to the customer.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Smile Back to the alternator

In doing some reading on ground loop noise and alternators, that appears to be my problem, and I will proceed under that assumption.

Why Toyota would act this way is a mystery as the repair doesn't sound complicated and they had already opened up the radio/tape/CD system.

Thanks to all!

HG

Old 06-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Don't know. Dealers tend to state things are acceptable when they don't want to deal with a problem.

Was this warranty work or were you paying? The fix not be as simple as moving one wire to get a better ground but could take hours to troubleshoot and solve. If warranty work time is money to the dealer. After being told a problem is acceptable most people drop the issue.