General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Huge oil line leak

Old 01-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Default Huge oil line leak

Hi.First of all sorry for my english guys.I got 2007 Camry v6(40K miles).Yesterday i saw a lot of oil in my garage and i immediately go to the dealer.Camry is certified used vehicle and they gave me replacementcar and i supposed to wait for phone call.Today morning they told me that warranty will not cover this.It's engine oil line for vvti system(15707-3102)It's engine component so warranty supposed to cover it.The similar problem was in avalon-the same engine.Any clue guys?what to do?700$ for repairs.thanks for any help and sorry for my english.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Huge oil line leak

This may ba a design defect for this engine. Owners are finding the part back ordered and needing to wait weeks for repairs. A TSB was issued for the Avalon which covered the repair under extended warranty. The V6 Camry engine should be the same model.

If the car is out of warranty suggest doing some research on the problem then talking to the dealer. If other Camry owners are having the same issue you may be able to convince them the issue is Toyota defect. The dealer can do repairs beyond the warranty period at their discretion.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:47 PM

I have the same problem with my 07 camrey v6 today. Mine is also the vvti line to the tune of$550 (out of warranty) 53k miles. I have not given the dealership premission to work on it yet.They are telling me it is not power train but rather bumper to bumper. I can't really afford this problem right now and came to the forum for suggestions. Glad to know I am not the only one sorry that you have the same problem.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Not a Toyota warranty expert but thought the drive train was warranted for 5Y/60K. The drive train would is engine, transmission, axles, etc excluding expendable parts as accessory belts and coolant hoses.

Suggest you read the warranty in the owner’s manual.

Would think the VVTi piping system would be part of the engine given it supplies oil to the camshaft rotation system. The cam rotation results in Variable Valve Timing with intelligence. The pipe should not be expendable! If it were prone to wear out shouldn’t it would be listed in the inspection or replacement section for scheduled maintenance?

Owners having this same problem appear to be routinely denied warranty repairs if the piping system leaks after 36K but still within the 5Y/60K.

The dealer has a LOT of leeway in making repairs and has funds sit aside for goodwill repairs. If they think you going to be a repeat customer, you had your work maintenance work done by Toyota, etc. they may do the repairs under goodwill.

Be polite, dealers like police have dealt with it all including customers threatening to sue. You are not going to sway them using these methods.

Might do some research via Goggle and other sites such as Toyotanation and document that this problem is happening others. Talk to the dealership General Manager or even the owner.

Your engine is a 2GR-FE and has been also used in the Avalon, Sienna, RAV4, Lexus ES and RX 350 models, Highlander and Previa.

If no favorable results with the dealer talk to Toyota customer service, a Google search should find their number. They may or may not do anything but it is worth a try.

Some states have arbitration, if you can make the case the repairs should be covered under warranty you can go this route.

Give the dealer every opportunity to help you, they appear to have a great deal of latitude. Once you go over their head to customer service or arbitration the dealer may no longer value your patronage as you are now a lost customer and cease any support they have or could provide.

If you do end up paying the bill strongly suggest you vent your frustration in a firm but polite letter to the Chairman of Toyota North America. Jim Lentz. His office address should listed at Toyota website. Often top management is too far removed from these types of customer issues.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:11 AM

Consider lodging a complaint with the NHTSA.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

I did today for my Rav4. This failure is now affecting V6 RAV4's.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:24 AM

Might do some research via Goggle and other sites such as Toyotanation and document that this problem is happening others.
Its happening now to Rav4 owners and has been in spades to Avalon owners.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...t/#post1220005

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopi...r=asc&&start=0

Old 03-03-2009, 01:21 AM

The TSB for the Avalon was for a leaky VVTi oil hose due to the clamp between the rubber hose and metal piping. The updated VVTi hose in the TSB is already being used in the 07 Camry V6. What is happening now with the updated hose that it is no longer leaking at the clamp- is it leaking due to a rupture in the rubber portion of the line. This rupture allows oil to practically pour out of the engine in a fast rate when the engine is running --> far worse than the original oil leaks past the clamps.

JJ

Old 03-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update Joel_CA.

I will pass this info along to folks and caution them the dealer fix may leak again but worse. Perhaps those owners with technical skills can inspect the rubber portion on an ongoing basis as a precaution.

I wonder if one could have a 1 wire hydraulic line made up and just change the line out.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:01 AM

The TSB is EG038-06 and specifically covers the 2007 camry v6 including the avalon. The dealer should pay. Here is a copy of the beginning of the pdf file which you can dowload from the Internet:

Page 1 of 2
EG038-06
Title:
2GR-FE (V6) ENGINE OIL LEAK
Models:
’05 – ’06 Avalon & ’07 Camry (V6)
Technical Service
BULLETIN
June 19, 2006
TSB REVISION NOTICE:
��
October 9, 2006: Production Change Information has been added. The Applicable
Warranty has been updated in the Warranty Information table.
Previous versions of this TSB should be discarded.

Some 2GR–FE engines may display evidence of a small oil leak, located on the rear side
of Bank 1. The source has been identified as unused side and end bolt holes in the right
hand (Bank 1) cam housing. A repair procedure has been developed to correct
this condition.
��
2005 – 2006 model year Avalon vehicles.

�� 2007 model year Camry vehicles equipped with the V6 engine

Old 05-11-2009, 11:42 PM

You are entitled to a No Charge Engine Oil hose replacement. It is covered under 5 yr 60,000 mile warranty. I have a 2007 V6 47k miles and my engine oil hose busted when i was driving. I drove 15 miles before i found out. Anyway Stevinson Toyota in Denver changed the hose without any issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Huge oil line leak