General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 01:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Instrument Panel Problem Plus!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 08:21 AM
Default Instrument Panel Problem Plus!

So I just got into my son's 95 Camry LE 2.2L for a trip to the store, and a problem occurred. The car was operating normally, except for the following:

1) Instrument cluster was not working. Speedometer, temp gauge, tachometer, AND odometer were inoperative! Gas gauge appeared to be working normally.
2) Power windows inoperative (all doors), but power locks working normally.
3) Overdrive did not appear to be operating (as if overdrive had been turned off); toggling the overdrive selector on the gear shifter did nothing....

What in the world might be going on? My Haynes manual offers nothing that I can find so far. I've never seen an odometer stop working before, and this is, to me, a most unusual combination of problems....

Help/advice is appreciated.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Also these systems use the Gauge fuse, check fuse.

Location behind far left drivers side ash tray/coin box door on lower dash.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:10 PM

Replaced the fuse, which resulted in the following: 2 seconds of operation, then loss of function again....

I've got to assume the fuses are being "blown" somehow. What is next up the line, electrically speaking? A relay of some sort? Something else?

Help is appreciated.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately the Gauge fuse powers a host of items, you may need a hand full of fuses or some kind of circuit breaker that can be temporarily installed.

Items powered in full or part by the fuse:

Red/Blue wire going alternator regulator, auto trans gear dash indicator lights and park/neutral switch on trans, and speed sensor on trans diff housing.

A/C systems including pressure switch, magnetic clutch and rpm sensor, evaporator temp switch, amplifier, air inlet control servo and vent motors.

ABS actuator and perhaps ABS computer, ABS relay,
Brake fluid level switch
Combination meter
Cruise control
Door lock control relay
Daytime running lights
Rear window defogger
Water temp sensor
Power main relay
EFI main relay
Engine computer
Fuel pump and sender
Heater control switch and relay
Ignition igniter
Integration relay
Tail and brake light failure sensor (goes to taillight out icon on dash)
Oil pressure switch
Parking brake switch
Trans O/D switch

When ALL systems are off plus doors, trunk, etc closed, foot OFF brake, emergency brake off, does the fuse blow when the ign switch is off, turned to ign, turned to ACC, turned to start?

For starters check wiring harness in trunk for damage where it transitions from the chassis to trunk lid. Lid opening/closing can cause harness wire damage resulting in blown fuses.

A bad alt regulator can cause issues, you can disconnect the Red/Blue wire to take alt out of the circuit.

Check for a short at the speed sensor

The tail and stop light bulb sensor device in the trunk can fail. Location behind trunk side panel on drivers side of trunk side, more forward toward driver then back toward the bumper. Gauge fuse wire is Yellow/Green.

Pressing on the brake will cause the burned out bulb sensor device to operate which is powered by the gauge fuse.

Many of the items listed can be turned off or disconnected when testing.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:51 PM

Sorry, I've been travelling for some time.... Back finally to the Camry....

I found some looser wires on the low side of the engine that were toouching the frame/front axle area. I lifted them off, and I no longer appear to have a short of any kind (the fuses are no longer blowing after a few seconds).

Also, the pattern of non-working componets has changed. Specifically, I now suffer from the following non-working components: tachometer, odometer and trip odometer, gas gauge, and temperature gaug: the "O/D Off" button flashes intermittantly. Also, the front vents are now not operative!

The power windows, air conditioner blower, and radio are working fine.

Does any of this point towards a more likely problem area, such as a relay of some sort? I do not have electrical experience, so some of the earlier suggestions are "above my pay grade". Any additional help is appreciated.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

The items on your list are all on the same power buss inside the instrument cluster. This buss receives power from the Gauge fuse. O/D off light is also on same buss plus oil pressure, check engine and emergency brake lights.

Do these last three lights work when you turn on the ign key, does the emergency brake light turn on any time the ign key is on? If so power is getting to this buss.

If no power the power wire from the gauge fuse to the instrument cluster is red/blue.

Normally a steady flashing O/D light indicates the transmission control system has a problem and a code is stored in the transmission computer.

The vents are controlled by the vent switch. If the other vents work the issue may be the wiring to the non-working vent.