General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 01:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Iridium IX or Platinum plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 03:22 AM
Default Iridium IX or Platinum plugs

Hi .. I bought a set of NGK Iridium IX plugs for my 1996 2.2L Camry ... but i found that platinum plugs are cheaper !!
i searched & found some reviews that iridium is better than platinum ..

is that true !! & what is better for my car .. as i will change my spark plug wiers too because the one's on my car ran more than 100,000KM.

Thanx.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Iridium IX or Platinum plugs

technically you should replace the plugs with whatever you have inside. but so long as the new plugs are properly gapped for your engine you can use them. Better? I dont know about that, but they are longer lasting...but overtime performance fades. I will say most new cars come with iridiums because of longer service intervals. Whatever you get is fine as long as its not bosch or like an american company. Stick with Denso or NGK. New wires are a good investment at 100K.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:36 AM

Iridiums will last longer and because Iridium is a harder metal the electrode is thinner, so you get a hotter spark and should get a more complete burn you may get slighter more power and better fuel economy (but not enough to worry about, IMO).
Toyota now puts Iridium plugs in all their vehicles right from the factory, so that should tell you which is the better plug.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:03 AM

how much difference in price couldit be for four plugs? i say go with the iridiums , its not often you change the plugs so put the "better" plugs in . i agree with nodrogkam , stay far away from bosch

Old 05-27-2007, 10:23 PM

the iridiums is about double the price of plats at the dealership...heres my 2 cent....plats are not better than iridiums...they just last longer.....camry313s' vehicle mileage is 100k the next time he will do a tune up with iridium is 220k and 10 plus years from now....the question you ask yourself is...will i own this car for that long?....also the chances of the engine having problems and possibly fouling the plugs are high, then you may have to do another tune up sooner then you have to....on newer toyotas the spark plug wires are eliminated....with camry313 vehicle he would have to replace his plug wires every 60k or 90k..no point of installing iridium plugs if the plugs outlast the wires...it would be nice to change them both at the same time...so have your money and use plats..

Old 05-27-2007, 10:57 PM

I just did a tune-up and i placed iridiums in my 2.2 and it does run better.- it holds speed better than platinums i put on the week prior. Yes- i switched 'em out because of curiousity.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:42 AM

Thank ya all guys for the info ... its good that more than 1 person adviced me 2 b away from Bosch ,,, as the Plats. that i found were Bosch & they were half price of the NGK Iridium IXthat i bought ...am gonna use them when i decide wich wiers to buy !! as till now i didnt order any ..

i might go for ACCEL 300+ Ferro-Spiral ThunderSport wires >> http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

or NGK Power Cable Spark Plug Wire Sets >> http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...=KeywordSearch

but about NGK i remeber that once some told me that they are crap. as its not worth to buy them !!! don't know why !!?

also what kinda tune-up i gotta do to my car ... usually my friend who is adrag racing mechanic will do all the necessary things that the car needs ,, but out of curiosity just wanted to know ..

thanx all

Old 05-28-2007, 04:26 PM

Air Filter
Spark Plugs
Spark Plug Wires
Fuel Filter
Clean Fuel System
Clean Injectors
Coolant Flush
Brake Fluid Flush
Tranny Flush
PCV Valve Replacement
Oil and Filter Change
Tire Rotation/ PSi Check
Check brake pads

- well that's what i did on mines. LOL Hope this helps some.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:47 PM

I would definetely stay away from Bosch plugs. Stick with NGK or Denso.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:59 AM

hmm.. so what about the Autolite Double Platinum plugs? that is what i have installed in mine..

Quick Reply: Iridium IX or Platinum plugs