General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Itermittent Windshield Wiper Problems

Old 10-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Default Itermittent Windshield Wiper Problems

Hello,

I recently bought 2000 Camry XLE with 55,000 miles on it and the other day my intermittent windshield wipers stopped working. Well actually they work but when I pull the lever arm on the steering wheel column down to the intermittent position the wipers turn on as if I had advanced the lever arm down to the medium speed position. Turning the intermittent rotary thing does nothing and the wipers stay on medium speed. When I flip the lever arm back up to the off position the wipers stop in place. Does anyone know I there is a fuse or something that may be causing this problem? Where should I start looking? Thanks.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Are you stating you can make the wipers work in the intermittent position by moving the lever arm around?

The fuse is good because the wiper does work.

See private message.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:45 PM

Sorry if I was unclear. The wipers work on Medium and High (Non-Interment) operating modes. While on the Interment operating mode the wipers cycle through a constant speed that is similar to the Medium (Non-Interment) mode. Also, when I pull the lever arm toward me to wash the window the normal wiping cycle that it normally does not complete its self and the wipers stop on the window on random places. I'm thinking its either the motor of the relay in the steering column. But I can use all the help I can get. Thanks.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

The wiper arm has all the relays, timers, etc for the interment control.

The motor has a multiple field coils allowing more then one speed. The wiper control arm selects the correct field coil setup. The motor also has the park switch, this switch stops power to the motor when the arm is in the correct lowered position.

Download the info provided in the private message. This will provide operational info and describe tests to check the system and locate the bad component.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:45 PM

Hi, my 2000 Camry is doing the precise same thing as E_Held; if possible I would like the infor referenced above as "private message"

Old 03-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Default Same Problem

could I please get the same information? My 2000 camry has the exact same problem. Thank you so much.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:36 AM

Hello,

Anyway I could also get access to this information? My '99 just started this problem tonight.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 12-27-2013, 05:13 PM

I've just joined the "intermittent wipers don't work" club. May I have those instructions sent as well?

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

Old 10-20-2014, 11:32 PM
Default Exact same issue

Can I get the solution to this problem too lol. My 2001 Camry CE is doing the same thing

Old 10-21-2014, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Make sure the wiper is parking in the correct position, this being wipers down.

To test the intermittent wiring circuit, on the wiring going to the wiper motor find the blue/black wire.

With ign switch on and wiper at intermittent position, check voltage between wire and ground. Wire should have 12V every 1 to 10 seconds. This is the wiper switch sending the voltage to motor to operate it. With each 12v "pulse" the motor will turn for for one revolution and stop (wipers make one pass and park).

If no pulse, the timing circuit in the wiper arm is bad. The circuit is a capacitor which charges up, then discharges to activate the intermittent circuit.

Last edited by toyomoho; 10-21-2014 at 10:22 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Itermittent Windshield Wiper Problems