General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Leaving ignition key turned to ON position makes the car hard to start

Old 10-11-2010, 12:29 AM
Default Leaving ignition key turned to ON position makes the car hard to start

I have a 97 Camry, 4-cylinder LE model. The car runs well, no hesitation; if I just get in and start the car, it starts fast. Like most cars, you can turn the ignition key to the ACC position or the ON position without starting the car. If I leave turn the car keys to the ON position, and leave it in that position for a few minutes, then the car is hard to start when I fully turn the key to start the car; the ignition will cut out if I don’t give it gas for 10 seconds. The engine light is not on, and there is no engine light code because of a bad bulb; I’ve had the engine code read at Autozone. I've replaced the ignition wires and tested the ignition coil with an ohmmeter; all is well. If I turn the key to ACC, one click before On setting, just to power things while the car is not started, then there is no problem starting the car when I want to. Please let me know if anybody out there has had this problem, and what you did to fix it.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Toyota does not recommend leaving the ign key in the On position for more then 10 seconds without the engine running.

They state damage to the ign system could result. Perhaps the computer gets confused, a part overheats, etc. when you do this.

The easiest fix is to not leave the ign switch in the ON position without the engine running for more then say 30 seconds. Doing this may also save you repair bills in the future.

Not all engine systems are monitored by the computer. Something could be wrong and no code is stored as the failed part or system has no trouble codes.

I don't think anything is wrong (yet), but suggest you limit the time the ign switch is ON with the engine not running.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:37 PM

Thanks Joey P, I've looked at my owners manual and there is a square yellow box in the operation section telling you that leaving the key in the ON position can damage the ignition. Wow, you think that would be on the first page.

I've researched that Idea a little further, in my Camry car repair manual and it seems there are a lot of things that get power when in the ON position. Fuel regulator, ECM (ECU), ignition and other sensors.

I just hope after all these years that I have not damaged anything expensive.

Paul