General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locks that lock by themselves

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Default Locks that lock by themselves

Hi All
New to the site. My problem is with my 1995 2 door camry with power locks. The locks automatically loch when the ignition is turnd on and 5 seconds later BAM the locks lock. How can I disable this feature?
Thanks

Old 04-19-2007, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Locks that lock by themselves

does it come with an aftermarket security/remote entry system?

the factory systems don't do that.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:52 PM

hmm . my 1999 camry has that feature , and its factory alarm . im not aware of an override , but is annoying and im sure there is a way to disable , possibly a fuse , ill ask around and post back if i find out

Old 04-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

^ seriously? thats just wierd.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:19 PM

yeah . hmm i cant find anything on older camrys but found it for 04 .. maybe it was an option . (i didnt buy the car new from dealer) so i dont know what options were avail
2004 Camry LE
15 gallon tank, about 500 mile range
2.4 liter, 4 cylinder, 4-speed automatic
28-30 mpg city, 32-34 mpg highway
Payments: $336 a month for 5 years

It is well documented the reliability and quality of Toyota. The 2004 Camry LE is certain to uphold or surpass this reputation.
CONVENIENCE: armrest/CD-holder, power windows/mirrors, digital outdoor temperature gauge, floorboard footrest, sunglasses holder in roof, good interior lighting; cruise control, grocery-bag hooks & liter bottle holders in trunk; electronic key to lock/unlock driver door and trunk, and it has a panic button you can push if you can't find your car in a parking lot. It also has a valet key you can put in your purse/wallet in case you lock yourself out. When you have half a gallon of gas left in the tank a light on the instrument panel informs you of this. The doors automatically lock when you put the car into gear. Daylight Running Lamps (DRL) can be turned on or off as desired.

and actually mine does it after driving down the road , not when put into drive .. ?

Old 04-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

your car may have an aftermarket system. our factory systems do not vary. i believe they are all the same from 97-2001.

I have an aftermarket system that will auto lock the doors once the key is turned two clicks or the car is started. I've locked myself out once so far.

No factory system will ever lock the doors after the key is turned because of possible lockouts. THey will lock when you shift into gear or reach a certain speed.

The original poster sounds like they have an aftermarket system like mine, where you can deactivate the feature, but i dont think it can be done by the user.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:17 AM

Ok
My wife Just got a new Rav 4 and I inherited the camry from her. She has just informed me that it is an after market alarm. Any ideas about them or do I have to find the installer?

Old 04-22-2007, 06:20 AM

it my or my not be your alarm system...ive had a customer car door do the same thing and the only had factory wireless door lock...their problem was a short on the drivers door wireharness..in the area where the door meets the door jam is a wireharness that flexes when you open and close the door, and the wire was shorting to ground....i would recommend taking it to the pros and have them deal with it...

Old 06-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Default readyteddy62

This is just a quick follow up message regarding automatic door locks.
I own a 2005 Toyota Camry LE with a random locking door feature.
The doors lock whenever they feel like it. I have been locked out with the key in the ignition with the car running. Key in the ignition and the car turned off, (pumping gas,) and the doors lock automatically when the key is out of the ignition, parked for the night in my garage.

The doors will unlock with the key fob, or the key, but the random lockouts are driving me crazy.

I saw one post regarding a possible problem with the wiring harness in the driver's door, just wondered if it could be anything else?

Thx!