General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:48 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

Loss of Power/accelerator while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Default Loss of Power/accelerator while driving

Camry 1999 LE 4-cylinder

Well I decided to start a new thread, and to give you a breakdown of thats happening, my car was dying due to busting my spark plug wire so i replaced the plugs and wires and ignition coils, car ran fine for about 2 days, then another problem arised where the car would shut off whenever at any time while driving or not from 5 minutes to 30 minutes. The other day I came home from driving it and I noticed I couldnt accelerate real fast to get on the highway like there was something wrong with the vehicle but once I let go of the accelerator and then wait a second or two and then hit the accelerator ( rapidly sometimes ) the car would run smooth at about 55mph but then soon would do the same thing again where it was like I was losing power, so I kept doing the same thing over and over until it finally died. Any suggestions?

Old 06-25-2009, 02:30 PM

Does it start now and idle or is it completely dead?

Old 06-25-2009, 09:28 PM

The car idles when I just let it sit there for a while. If I try to start it right after it dies it doesnt start.

Last edited by treonn; 06-25-2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Mistype
Old 06-26-2009, 05:53 AM

You're going to have to go back to basics after it dies and won't start. Determine if there is good spark to all the plugs. I think this year/engine has a coil for each plug?? If spark then look for fuel problems.

Last edited by pedro; 06-26-2009 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:15 PM

I have looked before remember Pedro, you assisted me the first time I was having issues with the vehicle. I am trying to look into simple solutions, could this possible have anything to do with the old autostart that I had in the vehicle 5 years ago? Or how about an issue with my tranny?

Old 06-26-2009, 06:41 PM

I doubt tranny, auto-start - can't say. Heat may be causing component to fail. Do you have to let engine cool to about the same temp each time before it will start?

Old 06-27-2009, 12:45 PM

EDIT: I May know the issue, after speaking with a long time no see buddy who does motor swaps for a living and electrical diagnostics specially for toyota vehicles, he provided me with some information that may possibly fix my issue. He asked:
Is the negative terminal loose: YES IT IS -
His response: I bet you anything that because that's loose your putting too much pressure on the ground wires that you currently have because it causes them to become too overloaded and overheated that no more current can flow into them and the grounds are listed here; one behind the driver side headlight, one on the passenger strut tower, one on top of the tranny, that theres also a ground wire leading to alternator on the passenger chassis and to also check the 4 white wires connected to the exhaust manifold under the vehicle.
I will be changing out the battery terminals to brass terminals since the negative terminal bolt if stripped and theyre real real super old and corroded ( if that doesnt fix the issue then next solution down below )
I will be getting a diagram of the electrial grounds for my vehicle and will be working on it tomorrow.

I will update here when I find anything.

Last edited by treonn; 06-28-2009 at 01:44 AM. Reason: New Possible Solution
Old 06-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Thumbs up

Thank you "pedro" for your outstanding assistance, even after all the work I did, I decided to check my fuel pressure and low and behold there was the problem, fuel pressure was too low, so I repalced the fuel strainer, still no go, then I replaced the fuel pump, BAM there we go, the whole problem with the car all the way back from the last week in may till now was just the Fuel Pump. Thanks for your great input "pedro"

Old 06-29-2009, 11:40 PM

where you from Pedro? I guess your a genius on this. Fuel pump is not usually causes some problem. Most of the time its the engine or the wheels.