General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF wiring problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Default MAF wiring problems

well, I have gone to far. After not seeing the wiring clamp holding the connectors together I unscrewed the connector attached to the MAF and pulled the connector out of the unit. Now, I have the connector and two black unconnected wires coming from the MAF. does anyone know which wire goes where. Holding the connector as it came from the MAF and starting from the left there is a small silver male connector and then a large and longer copper or brass colored connector followed by three short connectors. the first two have thin metal straps bent over and attached, the third has a small male connection on top and a lower connection with no metal, the sixth looks like a long connector but it looks like it has a contact point which would make contact with the last which looks like a guide. one wire is longer than the other that is all the infom I have

Old 01-02-2012, 03:58 PM

well, for starters, you gave us NO info on what engine it is.

as a practical advice, simple way of doing it is going to a dealership with same car in their lot, popping hood up and checking it out.

I have just looked at MAF sensor harnesses for 99 V6 and 07 2.5L 4 cyl engines, and they both have FIVE wires coming into the plug. And I know darn sure those are MAF sensors.

this makes me think yours is either not a MAF sensor, or it's some real odd one. how about a picture?

Old 01-03-2012, 08:57 AM
Default more information

well the motor is a 3VZFE. V-6 3000. The car is a 92 camy. It is a vane type of MAF. The wiring question deals with the potentiometer wiring. I am looking for a wiring diagram showing with points the wires connect to which connector when it is placed back into the potentiometer . I made a mistake and unscrewed and pulled the connector completely out of the potentiometer. There are two black leads coming from the interior of the potentiometer. I have explained in my former post as to what the back side of the unscrewed connector looks like. I am looking for someone who has knowledge on the wiring connections found within the potentiometer. Simply put which wire goes where. Again, I made a mistake. If I had another one to look at I would not have bothered you.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Might ask at the Toyotanation website.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:44 PM

you are not bothering us. by the time spent waiting for someone with 92 Camry V6, you could have looked it up live at many places. I had a mystery loose wire once, on Olds, that prevented engine from starting. I spent 1.5 hr in darn cold rain, got sick after, looking where the plug goes. finally gave up, spent 10 minutes driving to dealership, another 5 there, just to find out that it was hood light wire, hanging down from the engine harness. go figure.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:55 AM

Dear ukrkoz: I thought that maybe a auto mechanic or someone with experience would be on this site to help the helpless. I was wrong. You seem to know more about me, and telling me to go to a dealership than anything else. You seem to know where to find the requested information but are not willing to share that location. I have looked but still have not found it. Your story about being in the rain doesn't do me any good and is telling on your experience. I thought that maybe someone with some experience and expertise might be on this site and would be interested in helping someone rather than telling tales out of their past. Just to set the record straight. At present, I live far away from a dealership. and my car will not run. Where I come from,raising someone's hood, and pulling wires can get you shoot. The truth is that you do not know, so you wasted my time with your B.S. sorry that you are the bother.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

If your schematic has an internal parts layout of the MAF use an ohm meter to take readings between the two unknown wires and others.

You should be able to reference the diagram, then based on ohm readings determine where the two wires connect to the internal MAF circuit.