General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

MAINTENANCE REQUIRED light just came on

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Default MAINTENANCE REQUIRED light just came on

Hello Friends,

I was on my way from Prescott Arizona to Las Vegas Nevada, and on the way there the Maintenance Required light came on. I just changed my oil, and my coolant levels are correct. (The only thing I did was add about 400 mL, like 2 or 3 cups, of water to the coolant reservoir because the level was at low. Could this be why?)

The car is at 102,000 miles. Its in super clean condition, especially the engine, and I cant imagine what could be wrong with it.

I do not know how to approach this problem. What is the most cost effective way to go about trouble shooting this maintenance required light? How do I know what part needs to be maintained or replaced?

SOMEONE PLEASE ASSIST. I do not want to drive it too long like this. Or can I?

Old 11-18-2011, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

If the maintenance light is on and not the check engine light you need not do anything.

The light is a service reminder, it is not linked to any condition of car. Supposedly it comes on at 4500 miles.

You should be able to reset it yourself. Determine if the owners manual has this info, or do an internet search on this issue along the model and year of car.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:34 PM

I hope you did NOT add water, but added coolant instead.
in my 07 TCH, to reser service light, I need to press/hold odometer button, then turn instruments on and hold until it says on display that reset was accomplished.
no telling for yours, as you did not provide year. toyo is right, look it up in manual or google it.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by rick oshay
Hello Friends...
SOMEONE PLEASE ASSIST. I do not want to drive it too long like this. Or can I?
the answer is "Yes, you can."

On the water vs antifreeze addition, next time use distilled water, adding even a cup of tap/drinking water leads to light scale build-up over 30,000 miles (I actually ran such a test unintentionally on parallel cars because I ran out of distilled water and thought a cup of tap wouldn't make a difference on one car; I was wrong). But light scale buildup isn't really a problem unless you're fanatic. OK, back to help you - if you added water get a jug of non-diluted antifreeze and add the same volume (+/-) to the overflow tank; it will work its way in over time as the engine heats and cools, drawing from the tank ... no problems, and not critical in any event

Old 11-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Default light scale buildup

Actually I am a fanatic. If I flush out all of the coolant, and replace with distilled water and new coolant, will the scale buildup still occur? What does scale buildup do? And what equivalent red coolant is there available? I have a feeling toyota coolant is going to be expensive.

Thanks Guys and God Bless.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Much depends on the quality of the water used. Where source was the water?

If you flush the engine some flush water will remain in the engine, then you are back to square one.

What year of Camry?

Old 11-21-2011, 08:37 PM

rick, I do not get it. maintenance light is nothing but a timed reminder. it has none to do with anything wrong with your car. simply reset the light following your particular vehicle/year procedure.
Toyota coolant is not that expensive, actually. They say it's secifically formulated for Toyota engines (of course), but you can buy aftermarket coolant that is GUARANTEED TO BE SAFELY MIXED WITH ANY COLOR COOLANT. only GM Dexcool coagulates when water or different brand coolant is added.
But why? ain't nothing wrong with your car.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by rick oshay
Actually I am a fanatic. If I flush out all of the coolant, and replace with distilled water and new coolant, will the scale buildup still occur (1)? What does scale buildup do (2)? ...
1 - no, scale is CaCO3, calcium carbonate - a mineral. remember high school chemistry.
distilled water and deionized water have no calcium so = no scale.
all drinking water - tap water, well water, spring water does have calcium in solution.

2 - small crystals form on the inside surfaces, you can see them if you take out the coolant and look down the radiator cap opening.
Radiator still works; very heavy scale could potentially restrict coolant flow through passages, but that's not this.