General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Moonroof / Sunroof tilt not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Question Moonroof / Sunroof tilt not working

The Moonroof on our '96 Camry will no longer tilt up at D/S corner.

The window will slide in and out but the D/S corner won't finish off closure (come up flush with the roof surface) unless I wedge the cam up into its keeper in the slot. This also means the tilt feature won't fully work: the D/S lip not tilting up.

Without yanking the whole works apart I am thinking on just removing the glass to gain better access to the cable and its sliding-truck. I have a feeling the cable has either broken at the sliding-truck or simply slipped through some sort of truck clamp (the tail of the cable shows on the P/S assembly but no longer on the D/S).

Before I start yanking the glass and trim, it will be helpful to know if the cable is swedged to the sliding-truck or is simply locked onto the sliding-truck via clamp and bolts.

In other words, is the cable and truck manufactured as one piece or is the cable obtainable separately? If the cable and attached truck are mechanically separate pieces then perhaps the cable can be more easily repaired or sourced.

Anyone have experience with replacing these cables -- how do they appear physically?