General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my 95 2.2cyl transmission blown or fixable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 08:21 PM
Default Is my 95 2.2cyl transmission blown or fixable?

At approximately dusk I drove my 1995 Camry LE (2.2cyl Auto-Trans 230K) about 1 mile from my house and suddenly there was a loss of power in Drive. I shifted to 2nd Gear Drive and it drove a little better until I parked the car. However, I then tried all gears from Reverse to First and none of the gears worked. I then opened the hood and there was oil all over the front of the engine block and was also leaking.

It was also leaking quite heavily underneath the car. Unfortunately, I didn't check whether the leaking/splattered fluid was red transmission or black oil but it seemed to be motor oil based on the smell & color. The engine did rev so there wasn't any immediate loss of engine power to the transmission.

Now, before getting the car towed to a mechanic I plan on going to back to further investigate in the daylight. There were no evident signs of trouble as I had just driven the car an hour earlier. I am not sure if it was running low on Transmission Fluid and below a certain level it caused some type of blowout. Also the car was NOT running hot as the temperature gauge was at the midline. IT was a pretty spontaneous breakdown.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with their 92-96 Camry LE?

1. Sudden loss of power in Drive
2. No other gears work
3. Heavy leaking and splattered oil around the crankcase?
4. If the engine is blown (based on the oil in the front of the engine) would it still rev and maintain power?

Thanks for any advice as to what the problem may be or what I should investigate upon seeing the car in daylight.

Last edited by puffswami; 02-25-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:00 PM

Researching more into the problem it seems I may have "thrown a connecting rod" based on the suddenness and oil everywhere. Thoughts?

Old 02-25-2014, 10:32 PM

get a rebuilt lower half block
or second hand engine

auto should all work

Old 02-25-2014, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

If you have thrown a rod there should be a hole in the side of the block where the rod punched it's way out. If this is the case, then Dirty Hands is right.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:25 PM

Went back today and got the car towed. Checked the transmission fluid which was full and the mess on the engine was motor oil. Didn't see any signs of a rod coming out the crankcase but the front motor mount (rocket ship one) was broken and beneath it an entire section of exhaust pipe was missing (however this may have happened before the transmission went out).

Hopefully it isn't a blown engine as I did check the oil about a 6 weeks ago and it was topped off. It may have something to do with the cold temperatures as it has been averaging 20 or less (down to -20) the past month or so.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

If all that stuff was motor oil, things don't look good for your engine.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:03 PM

Cause of Problem: Didn't throw a rod rather it was trans fluid that sprayed across the engine due to hose coming loose.

Front Engine Mount - Broke causing the engine to shudder this in turn caused the transmission line (rubber hose) to come loose which resulted in spraying the engine with transmission fluid. The transmission fluid was brown in color so I thought it was oil.

Exhaust Pipe - about a 12 inches of exhaust pipe broke off at the front of the car due to the engine vibration. This was not fixed.

Estimate: 1 hour labor + $150 in parts (hose, new Engine Mount, trans fluid, oil change, shop supplies) + tax = $260.00

Old 02-28-2014, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for updating us and believe it or not, that is a very good out come from what I thought had happened to your car! I'm glad that that is all it was, whew.
Keep on driving her! (Get the exhaust fixed though)

Old 04-24-2014, 05:25 AM

I know the mod said this...but a fresh shortblock?

JDM engine would be the way to go...under 800 delivered for a 4 banger.
Less money, fewer "F" ups from shade tree boys trying to reassemble.
And...cheaper in every way, with more life on average than an old head on a fresh lower.

Done it both ways. JDM is easier, cheaper and thus far, lasted longer than any rebuilt. Short or long block actually.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

When it comes to any kind of work on any car, it depends on who does it and how much they care to do it right. Any used engine (short or long), I would rebuild myself before installing. Those not familiar with engine rebuilding should choose a reputable shop that they trust. Anything used, JDM or not, you have no idea what the engine has endured in it's life, and, if I can save a buck, I will.

Quick Reply: Is my 95 2.2cyl transmission blown or fixable?