General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:49 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

My high beams dont work,and the high beam indicator light wont work,any suggestions

Old 08-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Default My high beams dont work,and the high beam indicator light wont work,any suggestions

Hello , my headlights were working fine until all of the sudden I turn on my high beams and I notice that the blue high beam dash light does not come on, and both my high beams do not work. The low beams work fine. When I pull back on the high beam flasher, the low beams only flash and not the high beams. When I push forward the high beam lever to turn on the high beams, they do not come on. Any suggestions to what this might be? In the fuse panel under the hood, I checked both the left and right 15 amp headlight fuses, both good. There is a big relay that says HEAD, is it possible if this is defective that it could cause the issue? I pulled this relay and tried to turn on the headlights just to see what happened, and the low beams did not work. Put the relay back in and I have low beams, and no high beams. I would guess that if this relay was bad I would have no headlights at all? I am at a loss, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks very much . It is a 1995 camry sedan

Last edited by dsmith222; 08-19-2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: forgot year
Old 08-21-2009, 04:18 PM

Wiring diagram shows one relay for high and low beams. Could it be that both high beam bulbs are blown? Other than that it would have to be the switch. The blue high beam indicator runs through the high beams.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Default where is the dim relay?

I did test both the highbeam bulbs and they are good. Someone suggested that it could be the DIM relay? I know the 4th gen has the dim relay but I dont know about 3rd gen? I cant seem to find any dim relay anywhere in the relay/fuse box. Can anyone tell me if one exists on a 95 camry?

Old 08-22-2009, 07:02 AM

There is only a dim switch on the 95. It's located in the light control stalk. Being that your low beams work and there is only one headlight relay then, as you have determined, the relay is ok. I think this problem is in the light switch or dim switch. My FSM says if high beams don't work then possible is "dim switch". You'll have to trace.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:41 PM

Thanks pedro, must be the switch. Is there any possible way to pull the headlight switch out without having to pull the steering wheel? I would only like to pull the steering wheel as a last resort, since i dont have a wheel pulling tool. I have an old chiltons manual that covers 83-96, it is very vague when it comes to the switch around the steering wheel column. I found a forum which describes someone was able to remove the switch without pulling the steering wheel, they just turned the wheel and were able to remove 2 screws, but this was on a 97. Mines a 95 so im not sure if this will work. I have to wait till next weekend to make it to the junkyard before I can try to pull the switch,
Thanks

Old 08-31-2009, 03:31 PM

I can't be of much help here as my manual seems to show removal of steering wheel. Auto Zone and Advance Auto will loan tools for free.

You might want to check the continuity of the dimmer switch before pulling parts. All the wiring from the steering wheel goes to one connector, probably at the firewall. There is an "A" and "B" side to the connector, the "A" side is shorter. The dimmer switch continuity test for high beam would be to use an ohm meter between terminals A9 & A12. You really need a diagram of the connector to figure this out though. Don't try to download internet manual for Camrys as they could be virus infected. Do you know if you high beam flash works? I would try that first. If so then more than likely the switch.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:53 PM

I bought another switch from the junkyard and sadly found out it didnt fix the problem. I tried taking it to several smaller garages and they wouldnt touch it, they all said it has to be the switch. Im not really all that handy with a voltmeter, I just bought one and am learning to use it. Had i been more familiar with one I probably could have found the problem. I broke down and brought it to the toyota dealership. It turns out the problem was a melted wire, the hot wire that runs to the high beams. There is a bundle of wires that runs from the switch and right below the end of the steering column underneath the dash, there is a large connector block for the wiring harness. It melted right before the connector block! It was melted inside the connector block and was hard to see from the outside. Looking inside the terminal you could see it was all black and burnt out. TOyota charged me $175 to run one wire around the block and splice it onto another wire. THey even charged me a $15 disposal fee, im trying to figure out what they disposed of. I dont get it. Anyway, happy to have it fixed, it was causing me alot of frustration.