General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need Advice - Possible Transmission Issues with 2007 Camry

Old 07-28-2015, 01:52 PM
Post Need Advice - Possible Transmission Issues with 2007 Camry

My 2007 Camry starts, revs, moves into gear but will not move. There are no error or warning lights showing on the dashboard. The dealer has informed me that I need a new transmission at a cost of $5,100!! The codes he was able to get from my car are C1201 and C1231. He said other codes were set off as well, but I do not have the specific codes. The dealer also said the transmission fluid is dark with metal shavings in it.

I should mention that the engine was replaced about 2 years ago and the front axle was fixed about 3 months ago. Before I pull together the 5K for a new transmission, I wanted to check if any of you have had a similar experience with your vehicles?

Old 07-28-2015, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

These codes are not for trans problems. However the trans is not working correctly.

Did the dealer actually drop the trans pan or just look at the fluid on the dipstick?

A few things:
Have you tried all gears including reverse?

Open the hood and find the the trans, then find the trans shift cable. Determine if the end of the cable is broken.

Is the car at the dealers now? If you need a trans replacement, there are cheaper places then the dealer.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
These codes are not for trans problems. However the trans is not working correctly.

Thanks for the information. I searched online and could not find the codes as trans codes.

Did the dealer actually drop the trans pan or just look at the fluid on the dipstick?

The dealer did not mention dropping the trans pan. I have a feeling he just checked the dipstick.

A few things:
Have you tried all gears including reverse?

Yes.

Open the hood and find the the trans, then find the trans shift cable. Determine if the end of the cable is broken.

I'll check this out.

Is the car at the dealers now? If you need a trans replacement, there are cheaper places then the dealer.
It was at the dealer. I had a local trans shop pick it up today. The shop is going to check it out. Their quote for a new trans is a lot less than the dealer!

Old 07-29-2015, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Great, post back with what they find out.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:04 PM

Here is my update:

The transmission was reconditioned with a rebuilt torque converter. Hard parts were required including a new OH Kit, front pump and hot flush cooler lines.

Expensive, but less than the dealer wanted to charge. Would replacing the transmission address the torque converter issue?

Old 09-18-2015, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

If the torque converter is replaced with a working one then yes.

The torque converter is part of the transmission system but not installed inside the transmission case. Thus it is possible to replace the transmission and use the old converter which just pulls out of the bell housing.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:53 PM

I am getting to this late, haven't been around much (busy busy at work). You should read my transmission thread here. My trans went south, same symptoms. I allowed the trans fluid to go too long and it sheared up and gummed up the works. My radiator trans cooling line was 100% blocked for ??? long, so the fluid was not circulating to cool. Which meant it accelerated its break down. In the end I had no gears.

I opted to buy a trans off eBay from a similar year that was totaled due to rear impact. The trans was fine, only had 71k on it, and came with a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty. Cost me $680 delivered to my door. I put it in myself, which is quite the project, but in the end after all the fluids and such (a few new tools added in, rented engine hoist, stuff like that) I was done for about $1,000. Been 9,000 miles since and it is still going strong. $1,000 beat the hell out of $3,600 which was the quote from a local trans shop to have them rebuild the trans.

When you have yours done, make sure they test the radiator (trans cooling section) and flush that as you may have some gunk in there.