General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil filter change - 2011 camry se 4 cyl

Old 11-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Default Oil filter change - 2011 camry se 4 cyl

Hi, I am a New 2011 Camry owner. SE, 4 cyl, automatic trans.
I do not feel comfortable with the recommended 10K oil change interval, so I will be changing my own oil vs. the free 2 yr scheduled maintenance at the dealer.
I am not familiar with the cartridge style filter. I took a look at it...can anyone give me a step by step instruction on changing the filter, and what specific tools will make ths as easy as possible?
In additon, no transmission fluid service interval, and no way to check the fluid level?
Your advice will be appreciated!

Old 11-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

There is a drain plug under the filter can to drain the oil out. Once drained, use a filter wrench to grip the filter can from below and unscrew.

The link below shows the filter can wrench.

http://www.toyotapart.com/OIL_FILTER...SB-0104-09.pdf

Autoparts or auto tool stores should sell the wrench.

The can unscrews allowing replacement of the filter element.

The filter box should have new o-rings for the can and drain plug, make sure you change these.

The procedure should be about the same as the engine in the link below:

http://highlanderclub.ru/files/manua...0e/x040001.pdf

Make sure you use the same type and viscosity of oil, most likely a synthetic (check owners manual).

Don't rock the can when removing as this could damage the oil pickup tube.

The trans uses synthetic oil which is supposed to last a long time. There is no dip stick, the fluid level check is done with a plug on the side of the trans. To check the fluid requires a procedure to bring the fluid up to a certain temp.

The dealer is supposed to inspect the fluid color, then compare to a color chart to determine its condition and if it requires changing.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the info and links! It looks like the filter drain plug simply removes with a 3/8 inch drive wrench/extension, and then if the proper filter can wrench is used, and new gaskets are properly installed... just make sure that you remove the filter can straight in and out so the pickup tube is not bent... and torque wrench used to not over torque the can or drain plug when reinstalling?

Old 11-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

That's right.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:02 PM

How do you drain and fill the transmission oil since it does not have the dipstick tube? Thank you

Old 03-28-2011, 08:43 PM

depends, what model is that??? here's a way in infiniti G35 How to Drain & Fill Infiniti G35 Transmission Fluid | eHow.com

not for for camry...

Old 03-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

The fluid needs to be drained, then refilled via the drill and fill ports.

The fluid is warmed up to specific temp by operating it via the engine and excess allowed drain out the fill port.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:06 PM
Default 10,000 miles?????

I have a 2011 Camry. 10,000 mile oil changes. I have a hard time with that.

KaBar69

Old 04-01-2011, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

There has been a lot of discussion about this change in oil change interval period. It is very difficult to find hard data.

Large trucking companies, railroads, etc all do ongoing oil analysis allowing them to determine the best oil change interval.

Toyota (or any other car maker) does not provide detailed info of how they come a position of extended oil change intervals. One could assume a car manufacturer knows their products and how to take care of them.

On the other hand Toyota is stating longer oil change periods result in less used oil in the environment plus owners like cars requiring less maintenance. Most engines given even basic maintenance (and using synthetic oil) will last to the end of the warranty period and with this the car manufacturer is generally off the hook unless a class action suit is win by owners.

The issue is even though Toyota's new oil change interval is most likely based on good R&D work there is really no recourse if something goes wrong. The owners are typically left paying all or a portion of the bill.

It's a matter of trust, do you trust Toyota.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Default Follow up...

Well, I went ahead with the first oil change on my own...at 3k, just because.... Used Toyota SYN and OEM Filter so that I have receipts for warranty. Had also purchased a good filter/cartridge wrench in advance, and a decent torque wrench. Change went very smooth...no mess...
I cut open the filter for inspection and there was some MINIMAL debris from the engine build. Very minimal.
I think the 10 k interval is too long.... It would be easier to buy into 5k, or a push to 7.
I think I will run a 4k interval this time, and then let Toyota do their FREE 10k service.
I will see what things look like and decide on a long range interval pattern from there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil filter change - 2011 camry se 4 cyl